How Many??

Mar 29, 2011
Beneteau 361 Charlotte,Vt
I do sailing tours for a living and have been doing for many years. Splitting the group up is the right idea, even with my 36 foot Bene, the cockpit gets crowded with more then four. If you can just sail with the main so you don't need to worry about trimming the jib. If you want to use all you sails, assign jobs to trimmers. So you can just worry about the boat. Make sure that you tell the people about the boat healing before you leave the dock, and assure them that the boat won't roll over. People who never have sailed before get the crap scared out of then the first time the sails fill and the boat heals over 10 degrees.
Have fun...

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I'll be the contrarian: Take em all at once. You have no one to blame but yourself at this point. :) You have to know the harbor and the weather. Protected water. Set the safety rules (PFD's etc.) you think are prudent.

We often give the 'harbor tour' to friends and visitors. I've never taken that many but 8 or 9, maybe a few times. I'd never sail with a large group. Even though we can seat cheek to cheek, 8 in the cockpit, I couldn't sail the boat if I wanted being trapped by them all.

I'd motor only and if the conditions are perfect, I might unroll the genoa for a glide back to the docks. That alone is usually impressive enough for non-sailors.

We've taken a few photography classes out for a short trip (we have a photog. school in town). This was one our son was in. That would be him in the bosun chair (he grew up hanging in the rigging), taking the class photo.

The cool thing was, the class then took Young Tom's pic, sitting on deck, and photoshopped his image into the group - on deck. You wouldn't have known it by looking at the photo. Assume nothing. :)

TT photog class.jpg

Last edited: