How Many??

kmart

Jan 1, 2012
Pearson 10M Fall River, MA
OK the question is... How many people would you comfortably take on-board and actually sail with?

Now before this thread goes totally off the rails.. Details matter. Its a specific scenario.
The boat is a Pearson 10M 33 feet long, 11 feet wide.
So 33*11/18 =20 people. is the boat "Capacity" No issue there!

My colleagues at work all know I have a sailboat (all I talk about or show pics of when not working). And we often do team activities after work. So when they suggested... Ken...takes us all sailing... proof you actually can sail. :) ..it was an instantaneous YES.

There would be 11 of us total. So Its Not a question of boat capacity. 11 people wouldn't even move the boat to the boot stripe. A couple of non swimmers are going with trepidation.
There will be life-jackets for all. All non-swimmers will be required to wear. I may make everyone wear for solidarity. This will be an easy leisurely 1-2 hr sail, minimal healing in a harbor.

On a P10M the cockpit isn't that large. Maybe hold 5-6 comfortably (Incl helmsman)
That means 5 or 6 are sitting on the coach house. I can easily just motor safely about but where is the fun and the "sailing experience in that!

I have a big Genny (140). I'll just fly that... enough to power / move the boat with all those people. Not worry of anyone getting boomed by not raising the main.

That's my plan, but never having had more than 5 at a time on-board before. I seek the sage advice of this group.

PS: And of course, this is dependent on fair weather. Not taking them out in 35 kts and rough seas :). Hoping for more like 10-12 kts and flat.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
You should be concerned about liability. This can't be a "work event," and no one can pay you anything. I suggest you foot the bill yourself.

That said, with the number of people you say, and that some are non-swimmers, I wouldn't personally do it. I'm only comfortable with three or four.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Eleven people onboard who don't know how to sail and don't know what to do when, is an invitation to a cluster **you know what**.

In the interest of promoting workplace harmony and team building as well as safety and a decent time for all, might I suggest a shore side picnic at your marina and then take 4 or 5 out for an hour long sail. You'll make a couple of trips, but it will be safer and people will have a better time. If you can hoodwink a couple of knowledgeable crew to help you out it will be even better.

And don't forget the USCG safety requirements for PFDs and such. And watch out for alcohol consumption for your novice crew.

kmart

Jan 1, 2012
Jviss yes great point. Its a group from work..but not a work event. So its just me taking some friends out that I happen to work with. Zero payment involved from anyone. (No $$, No food, nothing). Maybe they can buy me a beer at the bar afterwards were back tied up. Also I'm fairly certain a few will decline the invite so it will probably actually be 2 or 3 people less. But I plan case they all show up. And also there are several that are experienced Power Boaters who are also safety conscious and will help me monitor everyone.

But its still a lot of people!

When everyone is on board.... If i feel its too crowded or unsafe to sail... I will default to a motor around. I am confident that that can be done safely. I am trying to be very very conservative with this.

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
Split the trip into two short trips with five crew each. Better your passengers come back wanting more and you knowing which are better sailors.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
For all the years I've owned boats, the "rule of thumb" has been, unless your boat is a houseboat with a very large sundeck, only as many people as there are fixed seats. And no one is out of the cockpit when the boat is underway moving faster than idle speed. The last thing you'd need with people--especially landlubbers--on the foredeck would be for a gust or even wake to suddenly heel the boat.
That's this ol' stinkpotter's $.02 worth...your mileage may vary.
--Peggie

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Split the group. Even asking the question indicates you really are not that comfortable. Do not let this tempt you outside your zone!

kmart

Jan 1, 2012
Thanks all. As I said Sage advice from all. That I will follow!

There is a bar /live band... at the entrance of he Marine. Boats need to pass right past the Bar (close <15 ft) on the way out/in. Tipsy Seagull for those that know the area!

I'll split the group into 2. First group stays at bar or clubhouse.... watches and take pics as 2nd group goes out...sails and return.
Come back in ...reverse the groups.
With only 5 on board I can safely sail.. no problem (all in the cockpit). (conditions permitting) so they get the full experience.
And opportunity to get some good pics of the team on the boat underway.

The challenge will be that the first group at the bar needs to refrain or minimal drinking.
No drinking on the boat underway or being impaired before going out. Upon return...;-)

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
We've got a 53' ketch and only take 2 passengers, yet we NEVER allow anyone outside the cockpit when tacking, rolling in or out the jib, and ours is a high cut Yankee, not even a genoa.
I'm with Peggy, I wouldn't take any more folks than you can seat IN the cockpit.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@kmart I think you understand the risk of more than 5 and so the split group plan is making sense to you. This is good.

Let me suggest.
  1. Mandatory life jackets. Only way you can leave the dock. Think of it as a safety belt in your car.
  2. Part of the fun of a sail boat is doing the sailing things on the boat. Stealing, pulling ropes, calling out “Hard A lee”. It is a part of the experience that induces people to try it. So you need a small enough group so all can have what they consider meaningful jobs while on your boat. Rail Meat is not going to get it. So the small groups help in being able to give each of th participants the feel of sailing
  3. You are likely going to find a back up sailor crew member will be a big help for you. You going to be pulled in so many ways and there will be so many questions that you need a second set of trained eyes to pull this off and all have fun. Either one of the fellow workers that you train before the event, or a fellow dock mate that is willing to join you as crew.
  4. No booze on board, and for those who partake and puke, the are leaders on cleanup. Party after makes sense.
  5. Have fun. Who knows maybe you find some new crew for those weekend and evening club races.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
[QUOTE="kmart, post: 1464521, member: 109486"
I'll split the group into 2. First group stays at bar or clubhouse.... watches and take pics as 2nd group goes out...sails and return.
Come back in ...reverse the groups
With only 5 on board I can safely sail.. no problem (all in the cockpit;-)[/QUOTE]
You’re onto to the right idea; however, take one group one day and the other group another day. If you take half the group out on the same day, you can bet that the group that stays in the bar for 1-2 hours, while you’re sailing with the first group, is going to get more than “tipsy” by the time you return to pick them up. Perhaps to engage the entire group together, have everyone meet up at a bar or casual restaurant, after each sail, on the different days.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I suggest you fly the main and a small headsail... much safer and you can have people sit by the mast. A very secure place, safely inside the shrouds and sheets, rather than on the coach house where the boom swings. The rest in the cockpit.. give some basic sail handling instructions before shoving off. Show them how the head works.... another cool place is to stand on the companionway stairs.... "the pit"
Give a few of them simple jobs... such as tending the main, and trimming the jib sheets... at your command, of course. Some of them just want a boat ride.... but I guarantee others will want to do something. Splitting into two groups is fine... I've had 7 on my 27 footer.... 5 in the cockpit and two at the mast... worked out well.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
The little voice on my shoulder says start at the bar. Then take 2 or 3 aboard and go out in the harbor. Do a couple of 360's until the Mal de Mer sets in. Bring them back while they a hung over the side and the others will politely refuse your offer for a day's outing and you would still look pretty good in their eyes.

kmart

Jan 1, 2012
Lol....I think Allyouget wins the prize for best idea yet!!!

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Here’s my frog’s-eye view. Take them out in groups. Once everyone has sailed offer to take “the whole class.” They will all have experienced it and can decide if they’re in. The ones that decide to go will have a great time and they’ll know what to expect. Those that decide not to go will have their own reasons that will be quite valid. Bottom line is have fun!

Sep 2, 2011
Hunter 27 Cherubini Alum Creek State Park
All of the above confirms my policy of not having friends who express an interest in "going out". I do my socializing with those who choose to walk on the grass and carry bags of metal sticks on their backs. :waycool: