How do I remove/replace keel winch bolt?

Jul 21, 2018
macgregor 25 trailered
Backstory: I got this 1980 25 mac project for free from a friend who was moving and could no longer use it. To my knowledge, almost everything is there minus a few small parts here and there. The keel had been taken out to be re coated by a previous owner which is great, except I have no clue how to get it back in now.(thats the next big step) Anyway, I noticed the keel winch bolt looked really bad and probably should be replaced while the keels off, so I started working on that first.

My question Today is how to remove/replace the keel cable winch bolt on the keel. I dont have pictures of the before...but what I did so far was grind off the two ends of the bolt and attempt to drill out the old stainless steel bolt on each side. This sort of worked, I was able to drill a decent hole on each side but have not broken thru the middle of the bolt yet and ive already broken two drill bits. Im guessing i didnt drill in perfectly straight and am hitting the keel on the inside of the bolt. Here's what I was planning on replacing it with: http://shop.bwyachts.com/product-p/5302-1k0.htm
Here come the questions:
Is there and easier way to remove this bolt? Would it be easier to try and drill a new hole farther up on the keel or is it always better to use the same spot? Is it possible/better to install a shackle that the cable attaches to rather than a straight bolt like the original? I heard these were originally installed with blue loctite? Is this true? Will I need loctite for the new bolt? Also, the keel has been scratched up some since being re-coated by the previous owner as you can see in the pictures, should I worry about this or is it fine as is?

Any help would be great! Thanks so much
-Adam
IMG-2415.JPG
IMG-2416.JPG
IMG-2420.JPG
IMG-2424.JPG
IMG-2431.JPG

Jul 21, 2018
macgregor 25 trailered
I got it OUT! I went thru like 4 or 5 cobalt bits, made some progress, then started trying to heat up and hammer out the bolt and that didn't really work that well, then I got a bigger hammer drill with a concrete bit and slowly but surely the bolt came out. I did go thru 2 of these heavy duty bits but they worked even though there not traditionally for stainless and cast iron. What a pain! This took all day for one bolt but man It felt good getting out! Now to get the Keel back in!

Jul 21, 2018
macgregor 25 trailered
I got it OUT! I went thru like 4 or 5 cobalt bits, made some progress, then started trying to heat up and hammer out the bolt and that didn't really work that well, then I got a bigger hammer drill with a concrete bit and slowly but surely the bolt came out. I did go thru 2 of these heavy duty bits but they worked even though there not traditionally for stainless and cast iron. What a pain! This took all day for one bolt but man It felt good getting out! Now to get the Keel back in!
Heres a couple pics!
IMG_2503.JPG
IMG_2504.JPG