HOW CAN I LIVE IN A SAILBOAT

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nachi@iname.com

HOW CAN I LIVE IN A SAILBOAT? I know this may seem like an extremely naive concept or notion, especially to a guy who doesn't know the first thing about sailing, but then I didn't know the first thing about traveling the United States and I did just that this summer, traveling all over 14,600 miles, 29 states sleeping in my truck. I'm not trying to prove anything by saying this other than that I am now more so hell bent on traveling the WHOLE world, sailing being the way I think it could be done. The other reason why I am even considering getting a sailboat is because I am in the market of buying an apartment here in New York City, and what I qualify for is up to $100,000 for an apartment or condo, but would it be possible to buy a boat that one could live in and have the comforts of having my computer, which is a necessary part of my job, being able to paint large paintings, which is also part of my livelihood, and still be docked near enough Manhattan to continue working and living in this rat infested city I love so much? I figure it would be less of an investment buying a boat, I'm sure, it would more than likely depreciate in value rather than increase, but then again having that option of being able to take off whenever I like, as I sometimes do, and seeing the rest of the world, like I know I will, is what draws me to this option. For anyone who has read as far as this, if you could please direct me to any or all information needed to do my research on this, possibly maybe just buy a sailboat to keep as a second home instead. Where do I even begin learning how to sail here in NYC? What price ranges are there to be considered? Etc. Please email me at nachi@iname.com and I would greatly appreciate this. Thank you.

G

Gary

sailboat living

When looking to live on a sailboat with some space and with the dollar amount your working with, I would look at an older Catalina 36. they are roomy, around $60K. they are relatively easy to sail and should be fairly available in your local. I would first do some sailing to see if that really is for you!!!! good luck

C

Claude McKernan

NYC Marinas

There's really only one choice if you want to live aboard and be near the City, and that is Liberty Landing Marina. All other "marinas" in the city are totally exposed to wake from passing commercial and recreational craft (remember, it is one of the busiest ports in the world) and you will never get a decent night's sleep as you will be bounced out of the rack on a regular basis. Liberty Landing however, is protected and void of wake. It is a quick 5 minute ferry ride to World Financial Center in downtown Manhattan. As for large paintings, You'll need a big boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.