Hour meter

Twille

Oct 8, 2012
Hunter 38 Henderson, nc
I have a H38 - the hour meter is not reading, yanmar 3jh4e. Any thoughts before I tear into the panel.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
If it has power then it should work. Its just a motor turning a mile meter calibrated to read hours. Turns on with the ignition switch. You should be able to turn the switch on (no start of the motor) and hear the hour meter motor running. If it is getting power and it does not work then it is probably not worth fixing.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
not all boats are this way, but my hour meter is on an oil pressure switch so if the key is left on for some reason, it doesnt rack up engine hours on the meter....
if yours is set up that way, it could be a faulty pressure switch.... but you can hook the meter directly to a battery to see if its a failed meter...
I have also seen hour meters that ran off the alternator, so when the engine is stopped, so is the meter.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
The instrument panel that comes with Yanmars that has the hour meter in the tach are famous for this. Though my hour meter does not display, it seems to still be registering hours. SOMETIMES the meter works, but I notice it is easier to see the display at night when the panel is lit up. I've not done it yet, but I plan to follow the sage advice offered repeatedly in these forms and get an hour meter to mount elsewhere.

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
I have a multi-function hour meter that never fails: my watch and a no. 2 pencil with spiral note pad. It also works as my fuel gauge. It also works as my maintenance log. You get the idea.

Twille

Oct 8, 2012
Hunter 38 Henderson, nc
Thanks for your responses. I have been using the ships log thus far.