Hood Furler

Rxsail

Mar 25, 2018
Hunter 30T Lake Norman
1992 Hunter 30 T: I have the original Hood furling gear ( under the deck mount). It works but takes a gorilla and a wench to furl. I have just replace my sail which being stiff certainly didn't improve the situation. I have gone through the installation and maintenance information that came with the unit, Everything is tight and I have 90 degrees between the furling line and the drum. The upper and lower units turn almost frictionless when I spin them by hand. It seems to me that the fair-leads on the stanchions, and the lead in the deck down to a block and then to the unit add a lot of friction. Any comments?

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Any comments?
A few. Had the same experience with difficulty rolling the head sail in under certain conditions, especially when the wind was up. Never a problem letting the head sail out, only in. Finally diagnosed what was going on, made a modification to where the drum is secured to the stem chain plate. No idea why Hunter used a long U bolt that had a tendency of allowing the drum to rotate, this causing the double line to bind against the drum frame. Wrote an article awhile ago describing the problem and what I did to fix it. That article with pictures is here: https://hunter.sailboatowners.com/mods.php?task=article&mid=45&aid=100062&mn=42

Rxsail

Mar 25, 2018
Hunter 30T Lake Norman
Thank you, excellent idea. I have a single line drum but the same thing might be affecting it.

Oct 27, 2016
Seattle
And now a word from the sponsor...
Hunter replacement stanchions

From current Marlow-Hunter boats to the classic cherubinis of the 80s, we have most stanchions and bases available, many of them in stock for quick shipment.
See the product

Feb 13, 2004
Hunter 37.5 Plattsburgh, NY
We have the original Hood furler also. The Genoa halyard tension can’t be too tight or it will be very difficult to furl. Hope this helps.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
On ours, I undid some fasteners and lowered the shroud around the furler then sprayed lost of water at it, soaked it with WD 40 and reassembled. It's been working way better ever since. This procedure was in my manual for the furler.

Ken