Holding tank vent filter

Nov 19, 2009
Hunter 45CC Ft Pierce and Abaco Bahamas
Specifically on the H 45CC (circa 2007) does anyone know where the holding tank vent filters are located?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Holding tank vent filters are an aftermarket item that's installed the holding tank vent line. They're expensive...actually help to create the very problem they're sold to solve by impeding the exchange of air needed to keep the environment in the tank aerobic...typically last only a year or two at most and are toast immediately if they get wet which can easily happens when the boat heels and/or the tank is overfilled...and which makes it impossible to prevent vent blockages by backflushing the vent line.

So when you find any on your boat, smartest thing you can do is remove it. There are other better ways to eliminate odor out the vent when you flush.

Nov 19, 2009
Hunter 45CC Ft Pierce and Abaco Bahamas
Thanks Peggy, good info. I thought they were installed when the boat was built.
So other than using the liguid holding tank sanitizer, what are these “other ways”?

Thanks in advance
Ron

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Start by replacing the "vent" thru-hull with an open bulkhead thru-hull that actually allows some air exchange with the gasses in the tank...reroute the vent line to keep it as short and straight as possible..and MAYBE make the necessary mods (which are actually very easy to do) to increase the size of the vent line to 1". What you use in the tank matters too. You'll find a lot more detail in my book, available from the sbo.com online store (see link in my signature)...but I'm always glad to answer any questions it doesn't (and even those it does).