Registered users don't see ads

Help me choose a new compass

Discussion in 'Smaller Boats' started by Kermit, Oct 24, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Kermit

Joined Jul 31, 2010
    4,162 posts, 1,352 likes
    Hunter 260
    US Sumter, SC Lake Murray Sailing Club, SC
    As y’all can see here my compass is shot. I wouldn’t feel the need for one on our lake but this one really makes our boat look bad. I’d like to get a nice one without spending too much over $200. SBO has what must be OMG nice ones. has some that seem to be reasonably priced. There’s got to be one that will tell me which direction I’m headed without costing a fortune. What say y’all?

Attached Files:

2. Dave Groshong

Dave Groshong SBO Staff Staff Member

Joined Jan 25, 2007
    1,210 posts, 55 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Seattle

Alansails and Kermit like this.
  3. JRacer

Joined Aug 9, 2011
    636 posts, 144 likes
    Beneteau 310
    US Wichita, Kansas Cheney KS (Wichita)
    I've always had the Plastimo Olympic 135's - Both on the J24, bulkhead mounted, and now on the B310, binnacle mounted. 135 may be a bit bigger than what you have there, can't tell - hard to read it ;-). But I think they have a smaller version available. Think you got your money's worth!

4. CloudDiver

Joined Sep 8, 2014
    2,486 posts, 327 likes
    Catalina 22 Swing Keel
    US San Diego San Diego
    I like the Plastimo Mini Contest on my small boat. The Ritchie Navigator is nice but $$$ and huge. Even the Ritchie SR-2 Venture seemed too big. I did not want to make the previous mounting hole bigger, I actually used some thickened epoxy to make it slightly smaller. I think the Mini Contest 101 is the perfect size for 22 - 27 foot boats, IMO.

5. kloudie1

Joined Nov 6, 2006
    7,558 posts, 399 likes
    Hunter 34
    US Mandeville Louisiana
  6. Jackdaw

Joined Nov 8, 2010
    8,093 posts, 1,634 likes
    Beneteau First 36.7 & 260
    US Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
    Hey froggy,

Even on a lake, if you’re not using a compass going upwind, you’re missing half of your flies!!

7. Justin_NSA

Joined Jul 7, 2004
    4,300 posts, 575 likes
    Hunter 30T
    US Cheney, KS
    Okay, someone had to post it. What is it that you want most?

8. Ralph Johnstone

Ralph Johnstone

Joined Jan 4, 2006
    2,420 posts, 255 likes
    Hunter H-310
    CA West Vancouver, B.C.
    Great Scott man.

That's not a compass ......... that's something out of a Stephen King novel.

9. JimInPB

Joined Aug 22, 2017
    429 posts, 108 likes
    Hunter 212 & 170
    us Florida West Palm Beach
    I've always had good luck with Ritchie compasses. 30 years ago, I even had one on my Sunfish.

I currently have a (less expensive) V-537 explorer on my 212 & I'm happy with it. Unfortunately, that one is probably too small to fit the existing hole that needs to be filled on Kernit's 260. The explorer goes in a 3" hole.

When I bought my 212, the existing compass had a smashed ball. I was able to buy the same model of compass from Ritchie & just swap out the broken ball. That let me avoid prying loose gobs of 5200 that anchored the original compass housing into the bulkhead.

You often have a choice of 2 or 3 different card colors with the Ritche compasses. That is usually worth thinking about before an order is placed. A compass cover may also be worth thinking about.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    Alansails likes this.
  10. flynhi4u

Joined Oct 28, 2013
    597 posts, 145 likes
    Hunter 20
    US Lake Monroe
    My thought too. Whatever compass you get I would suggest swapping the bulb out for a LED bulb if it comes with the old style incadescent bulb. I was appalled when I turned our compass light on for the first time and saw it was pulling more power than all the LED running lights combined! One 3 buck led wedge bulb solved that problem. Good luck Frog.

11. bletso

Joined Aug 20, 2013
    93 posts, 8 likes
    Globe 38
    US PCB

Sailm8 likes this.
  12. Roland5048

Joined May 12, 2004
    930 posts, 239 likes
    Hunter Cherubini 30
    US New Port Richey
    I'd go with the Moral Compass but they seem to be in short supply these days. :poke:

Will Gilmore, Kermit and Rick D like this.
  13. Justin_NSA

Joined Jul 7, 2004
    4,300 posts, 575 likes
    Hunter 30T
    US Cheney, KS

14. Rick D

Rick D

Joined Jun 14, 2008
    6,440 posts, 137 likes
    Hunter Legend 40.5
    US Long Beach, Shoreline Marina, CA
    Perfect, Justin! I had mine serviced about ten years locally, but the guy did large commercial ships and only did mine as a favor. I bookmarked that page.

15. Kings Gambit

Kings Gambit

Joined Jul 27, 2011
    2,504 posts, 398 likes
    Bavaria 38E
    US Alamitos Bay
    Andrews helped me w/ repair & parts for my Suunto binnacle compass, now 20 yr old. Great guy; very helpful.

16. Kermit

Joined Jul 31, 2010
    4,162 posts, 1,352 likes
    Hunter 260
    Looks like refurbishing may not be possible and almost certainly not cost-effective. Right now I’m leaning toward ordering from SBO. The one I have is made by Aqua Meter. I can’t tell from the picture what model it is. The el-cheapo model (likely what it is) can’t be repaired. The better model will cost as much to repair as the one @Dave Groshong recommended.

17. Meriachee

Joined Aug 1, 2011
    2,273 posts, 536 likes
    Catalina 270
    CA Edmonton, Ab Wabamun - on the orange ball
    I was gonna take a picture of the one on the iPhone, but my iPhone was busy.

18. Apex

Joined Jun 19, 2013
    660 posts, 56 likes
    Oday 28
    US Traverse City
    highly recommend SBO! This thread made me check offerings for a new mainsheet traveller I was looking at. Dave price matched sale price. THANKS DAVE.

Dave Groshong likes this.
  19. Drew13440

Joined May 6, 2004
    171 posts, 10 likes
    - -
    US Potomac
    Kermit, I bought the compass Dave recommended. It's not installed yet (I need a rainy Saturday to make a faring block) but I can tell you it's well made, well balanced and looks sharp. I don't see any downside to it.

Kermit likes this.
  20. Kermit

Joined Jul 31, 2010
    4,162 posts, 1,352 likes
    Hunter 260
    My iPhone can multi-task.

Attached Files:

Meriachee likes this.

Hunter throttle and shift cables
Order by model, fast shipment
Hunter faucets and parts
Replacement fixtures, hoses, sprayers, washers, and more.
Legend-era interior teak oil
Hunter's original interior teak finish on many boats from the 90's and earlier.