Help identifying a Raymarine wind system

Nov 25, 2016
C&C 30 MK1 Pasadena
I picked up a project boat ('73 C&C 30 MK1) to learn about sailboats and sailing. It has instruments, but no displays. I've replaced the depth sounders and added a chartplotter, but have this wind instrument that I don't know anything about. I've been told that it is a Raymarine analog unit and that I can't connect it to any modern displays.

Does anybody know what this is, whether I can do anything with it, and how I could test it if it is worth trying?
Thanks,
Steve
wind.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Steve. There is one listed on ebay as
(Raymarine ST60 Wind Vane Windvane)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Raymarine-ST60-Wind-Vane-Windvane-/232509007648
mBtS3DnwY2PKBBrSCcMGrzQ.jpg

With a Raymarine iTC-5 converter you may find a solution to your question.
The Raymarine iTC-5 converts analogue transducer signals used in i70, ST70+ and ST70 instrument systems to SeaTalkng. Transducers for Speed/Temperature, Depth, Wind, Rudder Angle and Fluxgate Compass can be connected to the one iTC-5 unit, eliminating the need for multiple ST70 ihstruments.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
It is either a ST-50 or an early model ST-60 wind transducer. The later ST-60 transducers have rounded tops and bottoms.

In the attached document near the end you will find a procedure for testing the transducer.

Attachments

Oct 15, 2017
Catalina 34 Catalina 34 San Diego
Looks like the ST60 that I have on my 93 Catalina 34. Mine is seized up of course so let me know if ya end up upgrading. I could use a replacement.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I have rebuilt three of these units (mine plus my spare, and one for a friend) and restored the original performance. I am writing a document that describes how to do this and I hope to finish it to publish to this site within a week. I also have spare parts- bearing and o-rings. Contact me if you need help.

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
While mine is not a Raymarine unit, I also rebuilt mine as the bearings were shot. I removed the bearings and took them to a local bearing place (google really was my friend) and got new ones for < $50. It was a great little winter project and the unit has worked like a charm again, for the last 7 years.

Cheers

Matt

Oct 15, 2017
I was hoping that it could be repaired but my rigger that went up the mast said it wasn’t serviceable. I’d like to try to save a few bucks. The wind speed cups still work but the directional is what’s seized. I wonder if the rigger was just trying to get me to buy a new one.

Dave

Oct 15, 2017
Regardless, it sounds like it might be worth bringing it down and having a look.

Dave

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Dave. I believe it has to be worth "bringing it down". If for no other reason than to put a new one in it's place. And while it is down you can decide if you can fix it or need to replace it.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I was hoping that it could be repaired but my rigger that went up the mast said it wasn’t serviceable. I’d like to try to save a few bucks. The wind speed cups still work but the directional is what’s seized. I wonder if the rigger was just trying to get me to buy a new one.

Dave
The rigger is right given that most people are not technically inclined to do fine mechanical repair and the first thought is to just replace. If these wind transducers were readily available and reasonably priced that could be the best bet for most owners.
However, they are not easy to find and are $300-400 when you do find one.
My experience says that they are easily rebuild-able if you have patience and fine motor skills.
Odd that the vane is the one that seized. Usually it is the cups that start binding first. Perhaps the cups are binding as well but still turn in a breeze. They should turn easily in not much more than an exhale.
Definitely bring down the transducer. Be sure to cap the socket so it is not exposed to the weather.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
I have rebuilt three of these units (mine plus my spare, and one for a friend) and restored the original performance. I am writing a document that describes how to do this and I hope to finish it to publish to this site within a week. I also have spare parts- bearing and o-rings. Contact me if you need help.
I also wish to fix ours. I'd love to see you publish what you have.

Ken

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I will put all of the instructions on here when I have them ready. Right now I am swamped with my winter cover repair and trying to schedule installation with a couple friends. The weather is not cooperating.......

Sep 11, 2015
Hunter 31 Marina del Rey
I also had trouble with mine. After performing the tests (you need to check that the yellow wire voltage is between 0 and 5V, green and blue between 2 and 6V but different from one another) I decided to replace it. If you have the ST60 system, you can get the new model (looks more like an egg) from Amazon for $330.

I decided to get a new sensor from NASA marine for $220. I could not be happier. The NASA Marine wind sensor is NMEA 0183 and updates at 10Hz. You can even use your existing ST60 tube (just need to bend it slightly) in place of theirs. This way it becomes a plug and play replacement. The NMEA output you can feed directly into any chartplotter or autopilot and it will display apparent/true/ground wind. It is also relatively easy to stream to the phone. You need to think over your setup to make sure that you have a free NMEA port or a multiplexer, depending on the equipment.

What really got me unhappy with Raymarine is their autopilots/chartplotters will not pass wind data from a Seatalk instrument to NMEA output but if it comes as NMEA then, yes, they will pass it on as NMEA. Such a cheap trick.

Pizzazz

Mar 10, 2020
none none Annapolis, MD
Do the newer transducers fit in the connector in the base of these older transducers? Anyone know? Do I need a whole new unit or can I just replace the transducer and arm?

jerry

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 320 500 Stockton, Mo.
I have the same transducer. it is a st-50. 4 years ago I brought the boat from Oklahoma which had a LOT of dirt in the mast and all over everything. The wind anemometer was really sticky as was the directional vane. Cleaning with lots of clean water got it back to working order. Last year I connected it directly to an itc-5 converter. When i bought the itc-5 it came with the transducer. I have yet to climb the mast to change it out for the new one, but I checked it out on another mast that was down in the yard and it fit perfectly also, Raymarine says the new one will fit in the old st-50 connector.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Looks like the ST60 that I have on my 93 Catalina 34. Mine is seized up of course so let me know if ya end up upgrading. I could use a replacement.
On my ST60 I had an identical one that had seized. All it needed was to remove and turn it upside down an drip some shaving machine oil in it and turn left and right and it start to work. I ended up buying a new one with new style egg-shaped in the middle. PM me if you need more info.