Help a new sailor fix up an old boat

Hooks

Oct 11, 2014
Neptune 24 Slidell, Louisiana
A friend of mine has a sailboat in a nearby marina that has been sitting for a while (like 3 years). He said if I fixed it up I could live on it and sail it for slip fees. I think it's a pretty good deal but need help fixing it up to live aboard.

It's a 1983 Hunter 34 sloop. 34.4 length 11.3 breadth. 5.5 depth, 5'6" draft loaded. Has a Yanmar 3GMF diesel auxiliary engine @ 27 HP (just reading all of this off the survey report from when he bought it in 2008).

I know nothing about sailboats. I've gone sailing twice with another buddy. Going again with him tomorrow. He says step 1 is replace the batteries so we can start the engine and step 2 is to dehumidify it. There are leaks and some rotten wood. We had to put the fuse in and get the bilge going to drain the water that was in the boat (wasn't much but still not good). The A/C switch is broken so we need to figure out how to replace that to see if the A/C even functions (very important in Louisiana).

But again I know nothing about this stuff. I'm currently without vehicle (looking to buy one) and then I can drive back and forth to the sailboat to do various things to it. I just don't know where to go after his steps.

Is there a guide somewhere? A book I can read? Youtube videos I can watch? Anything that can teach me? I don't have the money to hire someone to fix this thing up. I just want to use this as an opportunity to see if living on a sailboat is for me. And then the focus goes on buying my own boat while learning as much as I can about repairing this one for when mine has problems.

Here are some pictures of her: http://s515.photobucket.com/user/load81/library/Hunter

Jul 21, 2013
Searching for 1st sailing boat 27-28, 34-36 Channel Islands, Marina Del Rey
I think this is a great deal for the owner of a dilapidated boat.

Have someone invest to bring up the equity, pay slips to live for free!

All depends in what needs fixing well enough to live on and sail it. That is the dollar amount you should be looking at to get in it. Then the monthly slip fess.

If you are still willing to go ahead, then you list the problems to fix. With this list, you prioritize, get estimates of DIY fixes.

Be specific in this forum with your project segment and you will get lots of help and great advice.

Wish you the best.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
One of the previous owners really put a lot of time and effort into re-working the interior! If you are going to live aboard while repairing, best to get the systems working that will make you comfortable. Check out the battery charger then the air conditioning, then the head and holding tank. if the engine has not had water in it, it will run after the fuel is verified to be clean and water free. There is an owner's manual of sorts on this site under "Boat Info" "Downloads and General info" There is an engine manual there and details of the winches and steering gear. The fixed window frames probably need to be re-sealed .. There is good info on that in the "Boat Info" "owner Modifications" in the "34" section.. Welcome aboard !

Hooks

Oct 11, 2014
I think this is a great deal for the owner of a dilapidated boat.

Have someone invest to bring up the equity, pay slips to live for free!

All depends in what needs fixing well enough to live on and sail it. That is the dollar amount you should be looking at to get in it. Then the monthly slip fess.

If you are still willing to go ahead, then you list the problems to fix. With this list, you prioritize, get estimates of DIY fixes.

Be specific in this forum with your project segment and you will get lots of help and great advice.

Wish you the best.
It is a great deal for both of us. If things go well, he doesn't sell his boat and it becomes a "community" sailboat for people I love. The owner could be considered my grandpa by choice :) The problem is I don't know specifics yet. I don't even really know what to check. I'm the kind of person to just go sleep on it the way it is now but it could have some kind of mold problem that kills me. How do you tell?

One of the previous owners really put a lot of time and effort into re-working the interior! If you are going to live aboard while repairing, best to get the systems working that will make you comfortable. Check out the battery charger then the air conditioning, then the head and holding tank. if the engine has not had water in it, it will run after the fuel is verified to be clean and water free. There is an owner's manual of sorts on this site under "Boat Info" "Downloads and General info" There is an engine manual there and details of the winches and steering gear. The fixed window frames probably need to be re-sealed .. There is good info on that in the "Boat Info" "owner Modifications" in the "34" section.. Welcome aboard !
I do like the interior but it's weird. Some cabinets open up and there are hoses and stuff behind the doors. Or A/C vents. I feel a lot of it is more for looks and less for actual use.

Didn't think about the head and holding tank. Thank you. I'll check out the owners manual I appreciate it greatly. And how small of a world is it where you run into someone from your area with the same boat :eek: We should hang out sometime and you can show me a few tricks of the trade :) However I should warn you... I've met two kind of people that own sailboats in this area. Upper class ivy league types that have a sailboat they call their "yacht" and then people like me who are kind of lower class pirate types. I guess most live aboards around here fit into that 2nd category from what I've learned at Hook'd Up.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
being a pirate is not all bad.... just think of all the whisky and rye ...and those turkey legs

Hooks

Oct 11, 2014
I saw Covington and was like holy crap it is a small world but Georgia is a bit from Louisiana ;) And no, being a pirate isn't bad at all. I like to think of myself more a privateer though like Jean Lafitte. We are a krewe that's rough around the edges though but always a good time.

There may be whiskey on the boat today but we have a long day ahead so probably just beer. Not sure about turkey legs o_O I've only had those at the renaissance festival that comes around sometime in November. Man I can't wait.

Something about the water that soothes me. The sound of the wind against the sail. The smell of the sea. The splashing of the water against the hull. It all combines into this euphoria like no other. I've never been at peace unless I'm out on the water.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Some would say a 34 is a lot of boat for a first timer but you can't change that.
There are four questions
1 Do you like doing repairs? Once you start there will be no end
2 Are you prepared to spend thousands? Boat gear is not cheap.
3 What happens if the boat is sold?
4 Love your avatar but can't read the source.
Good luck. You find lots of info here just by searching. Also you tube has some useful videos and other people at the marina will help. I assume the owner will also be involved.

Hooks

Oct 11, 2014
Some would say a 34 is a lot of boat for a first timer but you can't change that.
There are four questions
1 Do you like doing repairs? Once you start there will be no end
2 Are you prepared to spend thousands? Boat gear is not cheap.
3 What happens if the boat is sold?
4 Love your avatar but can't read the source.
Good luck. You find lots of info here just by searching. Also you tube has some useful videos and other people at the marina will help. I assume the owner will also be involved.
1 Yes I kind of enjoy hands on stuff. I am an IT guy and love getting dirty with computer repair. I tried auto repair on an 88 Jimmy and loved it but got really frustrated with newer models being so computer operated. I'm old fashioned and like simple things but love projects as long as I'm able to complete them.

2 I am staying with a friend semi-rent free right now. His father in law is the owner of the boat. We are all like family by choice and I mean family like we would do anything for each other. So I have money to spend on fixing it up and he is willing to help out any way he can.

3 Then it is sold and life goes on. I live by God's plan not my own. But I doubt the guy would do that. I think if it was fixed up he would want to sail it again, take it off the market, and spend more time on this side of the lake. I'd love to sail with him. The only thing that would be more wonderful sounding than the wind against the sail would be him playing trombone on the boat :) He's kind of a New Orleans jazz musician and an awesome one at that.

4 It's a translation of Hebrews 6:19. Beautiful passage and I've always loved the anchor with the cross picture. My blood grandfather actually gave me this necklace before he died. Miss that man even though he loved power boats. http://www.christianitytoday.com/ch/asktheexpert/sep13.html

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
I agree with Picflight........great deal for the owner. He just writes a check once a year for insurance while you could possibly dump thousands into it. When was the standing and running rigging changed out last? How about condition of the sails, engine and bottom paint? Just these can add up to over $6k. Heck, I looked at a 84 Hunter 34 last year that was in good shape listed for $12k. Just wondering what he had it listed for. At least keep a tab of all your out of pocket expenses and have a written agreement that you get a percentage of that back if he decides to sell. Better yet, why don't he make you part owner? You say that if he decides to sell then it's "God's will"....don't think so. He also gave you a brain to use common sense and make good decisions on your own.

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 34 Toronto, Ontario Canada
You made the right first step, Hooks- coming to this forum. The collective knowledge here is truly amazing as is the willingness to share it.

Because of the dampness there will be mold- ridding the boat of it is a huge job ( tearing out all the carpeting, new floors etc. etc.) I would first invest in a de-humidifier and then get rid of all the standing water. You will find some water under the starboard side- under the table. You can get at it by undoing the table leg base ( the table lifts out of two metal "slots" on the side - feel/look under the table and you will see them. The leg them lifts out) you will need some way to suck the water out- one of those small fuel extractor pumps will work or a wet dry vacuum. After you get the standing water out, spray some clorox/water mix ( 1:3 ratio?) under as far as you can reach ( small insecticide sprayer) the pump again if there is standing water, and then let the vacuum run through the hole for several hours until dry. Most if not all the water inside has come in from above- lot of places, ports, the siding hatch- etc. Leaks in boats- and us 34 owners know about them- are the hardest things in the world to trace. The water never comes out near the leak.

Look under everything for damp, spray with clorox mix and then dry. That should help get things more dry and less mold. You will find lots of things to fix- a boat even in reasonable shape is a career. Ask on this forum if you have any questions.

Like the avatar.

Hooks

Oct 11, 2014
I agree with Picflight........great deal for the owner. He just writes a check once a year for insurance while you could possibly dump thousands into it. When was the standing and running rigging changed out last? How about condition of the sails, engine and bottom paint? Just these can add up to over $6k. Heck, I looked at a 84 Hunter 34 last year that was in good shape listed for $12k. Just wondering what he had it listed for. At least keep a tab of all your out of pocket expenses and have a written agreement that you get a percentage of that back if he decides to sell. Better yet, why don't he make you part owner? You say that if he decides to sell then it's "God's will"....don't think so. He also gave you a brain to use common sense and make good decisions on your own.
Not sure about the standing and running rigging. The rope all seems dry rot last I looked at it. I may not fix it up to sail, maybe just to live on. Not sure yet. Need to research into it and figure out what all needs repair/replacement. I'm not even sure if a sailboat is right for me which is why I'm happy to put a little time and money into figuring it out before getting myself into debt.

I'm not sure what he is asking to sell at but it's been for sale for over 3 years while it sits. Even if he did decide to sell it I would be happy he gets extra $$ out of it for it being in better shape. I guess you have to be from New Orleans to understand. Him selling it is the least of my concerns.

You made the right first step, Hooks- coming to this forum. The collective knowledge here is truly amazing as is the willingness to share it.

Because of the dampness there will be mold- ridding the boat of it is a huge job ( tearing out all the carpeting, new floors etc. etc.) I would first invest in a de-humidifier and then get rid of all the standing water. You will find some water under the starboard side- under the table. You can get at it by undoing the table leg base ( the table lifts out of two metal "slots" on the side - feel/look under the table and you will see them. The leg them lifts out) you will need some way to suck the water out- one of those small fuel extractor pumps will work or a wet dry vacuum. After you get the standing water out, spray some clorox/water mix ( 1:3 ratio?) under as far as you can reach ( small insecticide sprayer) the pump again if there is standing water, and then let the vacuum run through the hole for several hours until dry. Most if not all the water inside has come in from above- lot of places, ports, the siding hatch- etc. Leaks in boats- and us 34 owners know about them- are the hardest things in the world to trace. The water never comes out near the leak.

Look under everything for damp, spray with clorox mix and then dry. That should help get things more dry and less mold. You will find lots of things to fix- a boat even in reasonable shape is a career. Ask on this forum if you have any questions.

Like the avatar.
Thanks for the advice. It's leaking in several places sadly. We went out there during a small rainstorm and witnessed it. I'm afraid the wood on the starboard side might all need to come out as you can literaly peel it away with your fingers. It's going to be a long and fun project :)

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Hooks, yep, I am just down the road in Mandeville.. so,, those pictures are not recent? doesn't show mildew damage or water damage.?? We'll have to meet .. I'd like to see the boat.. I have walked by it on the piers there at Madisonville and thought it needed some TLC. Looks like it found someone to do that! Nope, I am not a "blue blazer" type sailor, but I do want things on my boat safe and functional..
Start w/ AC since it can dehumidify the cabin.. make sure the water pump can run and that the thru-hull and strainer on the pump intake are clear.. make sure all your wiring connections are tight and well made up since this can cause a fire. Should have a separate breaker for the AC unit .. working off the master 120V panel. Next week when the air gets dryer and cooler will be a great time to open hatches and companionway and cockpit seats and let her start airing out..
Meanwhile, Check out Maine Sail's excellent site:
http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/boat_projects
look at "Rebedding deck Hardware" and scroll down a ways and look at "Sealing Deck Penetrations To Prevent Core Rot" some really good info that will serve well. Things like chamfering the holes for a better seal are not obvious but makes the seal kinda permanent instead of an every two year job.. Do check out the owner modifications on re-sealing those windows.. Rich Bryer did this one:
http://hunter.sailboatowners.com/in...mid=267&cat_id=31&aid=7772&page=article&mn=34
Probably not too early to check the compression post and support beam for collapse.. that is something that would affect sailing, but it is not as much of a problem on that model 34 as it is on some of the later ones.
Again.. Welcome aboard !

Hooks

Oct 11, 2014
Thanks kloudie :) It's been a rough week with work but I was able to pick up a car so plan on going by this weekend sometime to look her over a little.

Pictures are recent I took them last month. I'll look into those links :) Let me know if you ever want to get together and look her over. Would love to chat sometimes. Now that I have a vehicle I'm much more flexible.

Dec 3, 2013
HUNTER 29.5 PORT CHARLOTTE FL
Hooks,
I agree with the others... this is a great deal for the OWNER! You make the boat saleable with your labor (and money?) and he sells it out from under you! Just say'n.

BTW... a deal breaker in any H34 (IMHO) is the mast compression post support. Probably made of galvanized sheet metal when the boat was built. Prone to rust out.

It is cross beam under the fiberglass sill you step over entering the fwd cabin area. I think it is shown in picture #15 of your slideshow. There may be inspection holes already cut by a PO. If not you must cut them and inspect this metal support. If rusted out it would be a deal breaker for me.

Feb 6, 2009
Hunter 40 Camano Island
methinks this is a bit strange..........

have someone else work on my boat,,,,,,,,,,, whaaaat?

work on someone elses boat for free.............whaaat? (giving other people free labor is never a path to financial security)

If you like working on boats........ many low priced (I did not say inexpensive) boats are out there.

just remember, you wont get the cost of your labor back out of it.

A motor home is less expensive and easier to save money with, and then you can get your own boat.

I have seen many boats advertised at 15K that one could inspect and walk away with for 8K cash,

thirdly,

Boat parts are not cheap, teak is not cheap, tools cost, and even used parts can be pricey. The cost of entry into the game is not insignificant.

Be realistic. it improves the boating experience. deals can be had .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/77-Glander-...item2597606fa3&item=161453469603&pt=Sailboats for example.

craigslist is also full of fixer uppers the brokers do not deal with.

If you are just looking for a roof overhead, and less concerned about sailing at this time.... look at

http://galveston.craigslist.org/boa/4658254291.html
for 1300 dollars for more room than should be possible in a 27 ft. boat.

still needs work but bolt a 200 dollar outboard on and you can mover her. at 4+ kts. IT is all a series of tradeoffs, You will save money with the old buccaneer while looking for a better boat.

JMHO Good luck.

Sorry to sound so harsh, but being new, you probably should hear what we all learned.

braol

Apr 16, 2014
Hunter 27 Rebel 16 Great Lakes Naval Base, IL
If you know that you are guaranteed to be able to live on the boat for just slip fees (maybe a small written contract), and you know the guy well...it sounds workable. But what happens after the boat is all fixed-up and your friend wants to go sailing in your "house"? Either way, as a short-term thing, having a cheap place to live is always a good deal.

I agreee with some of the other posts here about getting all the liveable things worked out: toilet: has to work, water: clean storage tank and dockside hose hook-up, heat: Lousiana?, at least an electric heater fan (don't leave on when your away!), ventilation: keeps mold away...electric fan, electricity: obvious, mold-free. Then go for the leaks, this will be the most time consuming with the steepest learning curve and the most tools and materials required.

After this, I'd say it then all comes down to basic structural things, some of which you will have solved when dealing with the leaks...like windows, hatches, mast boot, etc... At this stage you have to look into varnishing the wood and fixing any above-waterline fiberglass problems so that the boat itself doesn't deteriorate.

The next big leap will be whether or not you decide to actually sail or just live aboard. If you just live aboard, you're done. If you want to sail then you have opened-up a whole new chapter that we could all discuss for hours. The boat's been in the water for three years at least so you'd have to haul it out and paint the bottom and look for anything that needs to be fixed. Once that's done then you could tackle everything else, but you have to start with a good foundation.

I think that if you ever get to the actual sailing stage you'll have to have another conversation with the owner about money invested, ownership, use, etc... Like others have said, there is the potential for alot of unrecoverable money to be spent. You could spend several hundred dollars just on ropes and lines, and several hundred for haul-out and paint (doesn't include potential repairs). And even then you're just getting started. If you were given the boat outright for free I'd say go for it, but with your interesting arrangement I'd be cautious.

PS How are the sails. If they are damaged from neglectful storage, that's be the real deal-breaker as far as sailing the boat is concerned.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
Hey Hooks, I get it. All the questions by the others are spot on, fixing up a boat can be quite expensive. But i suppose you to be a grown ass man (or woman) capable of making the right decision for yourself. Kloudie1 is right on, if you are going to try to live on it, one of the first things in LA is the A/C and the things that make it livable. A great book that I have used is, "This Old Boat" by Don Casey, it is very helpful and gives you the confidence to tackle things you have not done before. This forum is also a great place, and I would hurry up and offer Kloudie some rum to come check it out!

May God bless you in your endeavors, just remember... Take little bites as you go to improve the boat, and watch the dollars you put in because to get it really nice you could buy a small house there In LA., but family is family by blood or by choice.

braol

Apr 16, 2014
Definitely get the "Good Old Boat" book and good luck in your adventure.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
Hey, just where in LA can you get a house for the price of fixing up a boat? I lived in San Diego for years and even a shack without running water would cost you $100k. Maybe you meant Louisiana (LA) rather than L.A.? :)
You can't buy wine in L.A. for the cost of fixing up a boat. That would would be the state of Louisiana. I did indeed mean LA, not L.A. Don't think I typed L.A.

braol

Apr 16, 2014
That would would be the state of Louisiana. I did indeed mean LA, not L.A.
Ooops, I forgot for a moment that the original poster was, in fact, from Louisiana and not California. My mistake.