Hello! New member, new boat......"Wayward Star"

ilance

May 19, 2017
Catalina 22 Medford, Or
I just got my first Catalina 22! I've been hunting for a while.....and one of my candidates offered me the boat gratis......

Not exactly naive, I KNOW that "free," most assuredly is NOT!

But, I couldn't resist. The owner is leaving the area....and the only chance this old girl had was finding someone like me: a dreamer with no money and limited common sense. So, with a disassembled deck and mast, I towed it home. I was going to blog it, and might still, but then I found this forum. I expect I'll be leaning on you all a lot......so, in return, here is the start:

"Wayward Star" is registered as a 1971. Hull number 559. (The wheelbarrow is about half of the bits and pieces!)
FullSizeRender 7.jpg FullSizeRender 2.jpg IMG_0717.JPG

So: the Schaefer furling is missing parts, 135 genoa needs work, custom galley slider is probably gonna go......I've ordered paint and kiwi deck.....sourcing a motor mount and outboard. My goal is to get her back to sailable condition ASAP. This, so that my partner will view anything after as "repair" and not part of a "rebuild."

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Welcome! Congrats on your new find!
you've come to the right place...read a couple years of posts, don't get overwhelmed, address the critical items (keel, soft spots, rebed deck hdwr, and get it in the water, it will keep you and your wallet busy for many years to come! Enjoy!

BTW, get that mast properly supported, fore, aft and center so it's not stressed (bent) as it looks in your pics, or better yet, take it off the boat so not in your way getting things done on deck & below...fwiw

Ron

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Welcome to the forum!

I seconad the mast statement from @rpludwig. You have more rake in the mast on the trailer than you do while sailing. However I love the swim step that's a nice little platform for jumping off into the water and getting back on board.
As far as a new c22 owner I am sure you already know but the tech manual from the Catalina 22association will be of immense help. It's a little easier than searching this forum for answers and has many ideas for mods or upgrades for both the boat and trailer. Your right to get her fixed up and back on the water as 1st priority as many times we can become overwhelmed by all the projects and loose sight of why we got the boat to begin with.
Let us know as you have questions or progress with pictures and the people here will be more than glad to help.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Looks mighty nice, for the low low price of nada!

You're definitely in the right place. There are a lot of really nice, really knowledgeable, really helpful people here. It's a great group. You'll be hard pressed to find a question you can't get answered. :)

ilance

May 19, 2017
Catalina 22 Medford, Or
Absolutely......the mast made me paranoid, all the way home. With the pulpit belowdecks, I had three old Type IV on the cabin top, and flexed the mast as much as I dared to keep on. It survived, thankfully, and is beside the old girl now, in my side yard.

I'm still drying it out, but paint and epoxy are coming. I've been collecting pics of rigging details, so I'll be ready to see what I'm missing! Right now, the big item just seems to be the feeder lip clamp for the furler......I hope I find it. I'll be replacing spreader brackets, and top sheaves for new rope halyards.....after I paint up the old mast.

The disassembly will actually work to keep me honest. I'd surely be out on the water already......but it seems so silly to miss the chance to refinish things right now.

I've jut about mapped out my deck hardware. Superfluous holes can then be filled. This one had a for real pump into the water Marine head. So, there's a hole for the thru-hull that I'll need to patch up.

Right now, I'm shocked by the lack of limber holes in lockers and such. Lots of places for water to gather. I'll be considering making some of those happen......so water can be in the bilge, not underfoot.

About the only further disassembly I plan is to push out the windows. Three have their trim removed. Since I'll be liberally dousing with penetrating epoxy and 4200......I guess it'll just make the masking easier to have them out for painting.

I just have to watch myself and keep my eyes on the real prize: getting it back on the water for the summer!

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
a dreamer with no money and limited common sense
Sounds like most of us. Welcome to the "clubhouse". Looking forward to seeing your updates. :)

I second what has been said. Especially the Catalina NSA tech manual.
Lots of info distilled from decades of C2 owners in there.

I'm always amazed at how much better an old neglected C22 looks with a good cleaning. She looks much better in the second photo, than the first.

Last edited:
May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
be sure to chk out CloudDiver's (Luke) 38+pg thread as well as the aforementioned from Jacktar, leeward rail and others....lots there to save u some time & research....these guys been thru it!

Ron

ilance

May 19, 2017
Catalina 22 Medford, Or
Thank you, leeward.....that was @$10 in a GP car wash! It filled the cabin liner, but was worth it!

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
By the way I added limber hole to get rid of the standing water and algae in the port lazarette forward end just below the aft port dinette seat opening from the cabin. Most likely it came in from air vents for fuel area. Usually not anything there but i put in a short length of threaded PVC and cap to drain it if needed. That area is lined and does not drain into rest of boat. You can see the high tide line before I cleaned it and used the limber hole to get the cleaning water and stuff out of the area without having to sponge it out.
Limber hole for portside (1).jpg
Limber hole for portside (1).jpg
Limber hole for portside (2).jpg

ilance

May 19, 2017
Catalina 22 Medford, Or
Way more burly than I started with......just a 1/4 hole to let the lockers clear. I like the pvc idea rather well!