Registered users don't see ads

Height of the the boat to remove the rudder?

Discussion in 'Catalina 30' started by ChrisCall, May 3, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. ChrisCall

ChrisCall

Joined Mar 27, 2016
    66 posts, 2 likes
    Catalina 30
    US Hingham
    I'm going to be removing the rudder to do some work . I thought i could dig a hole under it but can not . Does anyone know the height the rudder has to be off the ground to come out ? I have a 89 wing keel. Thanks.

2. shemandr

shemandr

Joined Jan 1, 2006
    3,484 posts, 567 likes
    Marblehead Skiff 14'
    US Greenport, NY
    You can measure the length of your rudder tube and add a bit.
    If you can't dig a hole I would suggest biting the bullet and raising the boat on a travel lift for the little time it takes to remove the rudder. Raising the boat sounds risky to me. The weight of the boat should be on the keel. There are lots of members here who have expertise about this - I am not one. Maybe someone else will respond. Unfortunately, it's decent weather in the East and a lot of us are trying to get our boats in.

3. NoAgenda

NoAgenda

Joined Apr 18, 2012
    36 posts, 1 likes
    Catalina 30TRWK
    US LaSalle,Mi
    We just did this on our boat last weekend. Our cradle is on 2 blocks about 8" thick and there is another one under the keel. I had to dig a hole about 6" to have clearance to put the rudder back in. (1992 wing keel).

Gray ports and parts
The most popular port on boats built from the 70s into the 90s.
Leaky Lewmar ports?
Start by replacing lens gaskets in stock now
Turn any toilet into a Raritan for a fraction of the cost
The Raritan LBA matches your existing bowl with the pump/plumbing of a PHII or PHC. save!
Teak companionway doors
Amazing artisan quality, custom made to fit your boat.