Clydo

May 28, 2013
Catalina C310 SF Bay/Delta
Friend of mine in C34 has inmast furler and recently sailed down coast
of California. He was DDW as wind built. Eventually tried to figure out how
to furl with boom out about as far as it would go. Eight foot plus waves and
winds pushing 40 and over? Thought if had wound up couple times earlier
would have been easier to furl? Other option to pull down sail like "regular"
sail. Any of you with in mast furling any suggestions?

Clyde Thorington
C310 $ 245
ILEAN TOO
San Jose, CA

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Ahhh, reefing earlier. In 8 ft. waves and 40kts+ nothing is going to be easy. Round ups are going to be violent and dangerous. Based on my experience with in mast furling, it would be nearly impossible to crank the sail in. Although starboard jibe would be better than port. Dropping it wouldn't be a cake walk. It is probably the best option. Or maybe a flare gun.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Based on my experience with in mast furling, it would be nearly impossible to crank the sail in.
:plus::plus::plus:
The reason is the "foil" , [the slotted tube inside the mast that binds the luff], if under significant sail force...

BENDS TO CONFORM THE MAST PRE-BEND

This effectively binds the sail with the force of wind in the main sail.:yikes:

The only way to reef [ or furl ] the mainsail is pointing into wind, thus relaxing the foil to turn/furl.
_______
Whenever we see or know impending high waves and 25+ knot wind, we will furl the main to leave only a small exposed [≈90% furled] and reef the jib similarly. I will power up auxiliary engine to maintain course required for the sea state. The Jib/main will be enough to maintain sea state control in case of lose of engine.

BTW this NO different from managing a non-furling main.

Dropping the main with the Halyard is also near impossible since the same foil is in a bind.

In dire, unprepared emergency, Cut the main outhaul line stop knot and let the Main sail...

Flail

Jim...

PS: It is the Captains duty to maintain a "Weather Eye".;)

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
I never use a winch to furl the mainsail because I believe doing this by hand minimizes the chance of forcing the sail and causing a jam. One exception is when furling while sailing in high winds. Depends upon the point of sail but on a close reach or close hauled you can use the winch and reduce the sail. Yes it would help to have one wrap already started as the first wrap is the hardest. If you are on a beam reach it would help to pull the mainsheet in tighter before furling. Ditto if you are running downwind. Head to wind is always best but while ocean sailing this is not always possible or safe.
Bob

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
PS: It is the Captains duty to maintain a "Weather Eye".;)
Very true, sometimes easier said than done, but still true.

Sailing DOWN the coast, especially with winds forecast (i.e., not unusual situations or unexpected conditions), a JIB ALONE is usually more than sufficient, especially if you're harbor hopping. I had a friend round Pt. Conception with a standard rig and he couldn't get the main down even when motoring and trying to turn upwind. Whether in-mast or traditional, it's a bear, and dangerous. I sailed SF Bay and the ocean for 45 years. Even going DDW across the Bay, I'd leave the main down. Much easier, not that much slower.