Harken furler control line entry

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Appears to be an older Unit 2. Terrible lead on the control line, and I have no other place to move the final block.
Can the steel cover on the drum be rotated to allow the control line a more fair entry into the drum? I'm ascared to just loosen any old screw or bolt.

20170712_173100 - Copy.jpg

Feb 20, 2011
I think you can rotate the cowl to solve that problem? I didn't check, but this is manual...
Thanks. If the older models are anything resembling this one, I think I should just have to loosen those screws around the base of the drum.
harken drum.PNG

As compared to my previous photo. Just can't figure why the POs left it like that.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I put together and installed a Harken furler this Spring, and needed to adjust the furling line exit.
Not a problem. Just loosen the bolts at the base of the drum and rotate as needed. Effectively, all that does is rotate the entire furler cage in relation to the forestay.

Feb 20, 2011
I put together and installed a Harken furler this Spring, and needed to adjust the furling line exit.
Not a problem. Just loosen the bolts at the base of the drum and rotate as needed. Effectively, all that does is rotate the entire furler cage in relation to the forestay.
Thanks.
Do you mean those slotted screw-like-bolts surrounding the base of the drum? Not the locking nut(s)?

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Yes, the screws. The newer drums have 2 allen bolts. You don't need to take it completely apart. Just loosen an rotate as needed.

Feb 20, 2011
Thanks to all for the info. Today I freed the one corroded screw, loosened the lower locknut and rotated the cover to a better place.

20170727_102857.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
That looks like mine. Read the manual, but...
Make sure the star washer on the bottom of the drum is flat up against the drum so the pins fit into the notches on the washer, then tighten the large nut up agsinst the washer. I assume you have a locking collar above the drum that you thread up tight against the bottom of the lower swaged stud on the forestay - these keep the drum, which is the turnbuckle, from loosening. That collar is under the aluminum foil clamp that is held to the steel drum with the 3 screws. Check that to make sure it is still tight.

Mine had been assembled incorrectly when it was first installed and the P.O. never fixed it. Luckily never lost the mast.

Last edited: