Happy Pi Day!

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Just noticed the date today and found out its Pi Day! So with all the insanely smart engineers and math nerds out there that love equations and boats let's hear your favorite Pi jokes! Ill start:

I heard that 3.14% of all sailors are Pi-rates :thumbup:

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
My local beer establishment has all pints for $3.14.... that's how ya do it.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
"And now I drew a symbol whose meaning Dwayne had known for a few years in school, a meaning which had since eluded him. The symbol would have looked like the end of a table in a prison dining hall to Wayne. It represented the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter. This ratio could also be expressed as a number, and even as Dwayne and Wayne and Karabekian and Beatrice Keedsler and all the rest of us went about our business, Earthling scientists were monotonously radioing that number into outer space. The idea was to show other inhabited planets, in case they were listening, how intelligent we were. We had tortured circles until they coughed up this symbol of their secret lives:"

Kurt Vonnegut Jr. Breakfast Of Champions

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
We had a pilot in our C-130 reserve unit that was to say the least... a bit eccentric. He was a physics graduate student at UT with a long commute to the AFB in San Antonio for flight training. His ride was a 60's VW Beetle, the kind that had the manual flippers that signaled turns. He had built a book holder on the steering wheel so he could read SiFi novels during his commute. The eccentric part is when he would pull an origami looking piece of paper out of his wallet and let it open all the way to the floor. It contained Pi to thousands of digits. As he recited Pi, our job was check his accuracy. We gave up long before he did.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Bastards...here's how we spent Pi day. The only thing sailing was the snow out of the blowers' chute at an arc that can be calculated if you had a clue about the exiting velocity and divide by Pi. Regardless, I had a chance to break in the new foulies...they are awesome. Friggin' Nor'Easters.

IMG_0516.JPG

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Yikes! And I keep asking ... why? why? why do people live that far north?

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Yikes! And I keep asking ... why? why? why do people live that far north?
We wonder that too... until we sail on Seneca Lake in July... the sunrise, the sunset, the clear, clean, fresh water in the beautiful afternoon sun...

We realize we are blessed.

IMG_0771.JPG

Apr 4, 2016
Newport 28 Richardson Marina
I left NY decades ago, in the pacific northwest we don't have to shovel rain.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
We wonder that too... until we sail on Seneca Lake in July... the sunrise, the sunset, the clear, clean, fresh water in the beautiful afternoon sun...

We realize we are blessed.

View attachment 134274
I want to sail on Seneca Lake!!!! (Imagine that in all caps.) I've been to Wagner Winery and would have been thrown out if @Meriachee and @Ralph Johnstone would have been there. Dang it's a beautiful lake!

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
P1010079.JPG

This is why I'll never leave! I'm pretty excited about this weekend's skiing but I have this in the summer:
camera 8-14-12 091.jpg