Hanging Anode, proper Grounding

QCI

Jan 30, 2014
Hunter 25.5 Bradenton
Hello, The diver who cleans the bottom of my 1984 Hunter 25.5 (with outboard motor) told me that there was corrosion starting on the keel bottom and suggested hanging a zinc anode to stop it. I bought the hanging type. Boat is in saltwater marina in Florida.
Can anyone tell me where to clamp the cable for proper ground on the boat?
Thanks for the help.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Connect the fish to your bonding system. I’ve seen some where they bond a cleat or stanchion bolt then clip the fish to that.

Bonding systems connect all the underwater metal parts (shaft,metal thruhulls, struts... to a common ground). Or just engine and shaft. Since the corrosion is there that’s where the fish wire should end up

https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Marine-Grounding-Systems

QCI

Jan 30, 2014
Hunter 25.5 Bradenton
The diver says there are rust bubbles are where the keel meets the hull on front side. They look like barnacles but can be rubbed off. Said to install the anode and see if it helps. Never had problem before. Moved to new marina last October. Thanks for info, Les!

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
If there are actual visible bubbles, that is FAST corrosion. At normal rates, the gas dissolves before you can see it. I'd dig deeper if I were you. It sounds like a wiring problem to me. I would also worry that the keel bolts are involved, which is critical. But not enough info.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
The diver says there are rust bubbles are where the keel meets the hull on front side. They look like barnacles but can be rubbed off. Said to install the anode and see if it helps. Never had problem before. Moved to new marina last October. Thanks for info, Les!
If it’s an iron keel, it’s rust, not corrosion. If it’s a lead keel, it won’t corrode from electrolysis very easily. I suspect your diver doesn’t have a clue but was adverse to admitting it.
Regardless, if it is in fact some form of electrolysis, putting a fish on the boat is a bandaid which won’t solve the problem you should be focusing on finding and fixing before it affects other stuff.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
On an iron keel you're talking about oxidation, not dissimilar metal corrosion like we usually think of a zinc preventing. Still I've read things saying a zinc will mitigate that if it's electrically connected to the iron.

Ultimately you'll probably want to grind or sand the affected areas to clean metal and recoat with epoxy to protect it.

PS I assume the "bubbles" are spots where the rust is "bubbling" out as it expands, not actually gas bubbles, correct?

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Why do think a lead keel can't display galvanic corrosion issues?

You have significant pitting from something. My guess is an issue that COULD be your boat, your shore power, or the guy in a slip near you, or the marina.

https://www.jefa.com/install/electro.htm

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
No offense, but that keel is in tough shape. You might want to think about blasting it to bare metal and resealing with epoxy. I did this on my O'Day 23 with an iron keel. The rehab of the keel worked so well, the keel was still in excellent condition ten years later, in salt water.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
If the keel was "GOOD" and that happened in a short time (as I understand from the posts above) -- then something is going on. ANODE up, make sure it's grounded to the keel (IS YOUR KEEL GROUNDED to the rest of the boat?) and make sure the rest of your metal on the boat is protected. Thru hulls, unless they are plastic.

Then figure-out what's happening. If it's the marina or your marina mates or transients or you or whatever.

Like Tom J said, that's pretty ugly.

You can fix it a bit, but if it's a symptom of bad things, they won't necessarily go away by themselves. The anode can shied you to a GREAT extent (if properly connected).

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
The OP's video shows what is clearly rust, not electrolytic or galvanic corrosion. Very, very common on iron keels.

QCI

Jan 30, 2014
Hunter 25.5 Bradenton
Thank you all for the responses! When I saw the video I thought the sailboat was toast. I figured the keel was ruined.