Haggis

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Laughing.. Ingredients really affect some folks ! I remember taking a friend to an excellent Lebanese restaurant. He'd never had Lebanese (he is from rural Alabama) before and asked me what was in it.. I jokingly told him that it contained lots of goodies like goat eyes and chicken feet.. then I saw him turn visibly green! I told him it was a joke.. but he stayed with the "other side" of the menu.. I enjoyed my meal nevertheless..

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
But back to the subject. There is nothing wrong with Haggis, nor eating liver, kidneys, sweet breads, brains, tongue, tripe, et al. I like them all but they are neigh impossible to find in the US.
That’s because they are Haggis, liver, kidneys, sweet breads, brains, tongue, tripe, et al. Well, actually, sweet breads are good. Especially black bread.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
So.. here in South Louisiana, most of those are key ingredients in some traditional dishes.. and are quite yummy..
Wait.. are we talking Sweet Breads or Sweetbreads? substantial difference!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
All right, Pepper Pot Soup often has tripe in it. When I found that out I stopped eating it. My mother used to serve kidney on Sunday morning. At some point my older brothers took me aside for an anatomy lesson. That was the end of that. Liver cooking completely grosses me out. Sweet breads or Sweetbreads? No difference. It will not pass my lips. Tongue is fine if it's cut by the deli guy and put in a sandwich so I can't see it - those taste buds are - unappetizing. I had an "Italian Hero" at an airport until halfway into the sandwich I saw that it contained pig hearts. I was sick for three days. No guts for me, thank you. There is a reason you clean a fish!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
My biology teacher told us that when you drink alcohol you're drinking pee. Yep, yeast pee alcohol. I like that white liquid stuff they squeeze out of a cow's booby. Heat it and stir it around then refrigerate, it's good. Not only that but, if you add some of those peeing critters you can't see, stir it some more and let it congeal, it makes a nice snack on crackers or in whipped chicken ovums.
You know kopi luwak that gets pooped out by civet cats. It's coffee that has been digested by the cats, retail as high as $700/kg.
I raise chickens, ducks and turkeys. When we eat them we try not to waste a thing, out of respect for the bird who have it' life.
- Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Potted pecker meat? Give me a moment to wipe the tears from my eyes...too funny.

I don’t remember where I saw this, perhaps on SBO, or Cindy’s Farce-book, but this video is still hilarious. So if you’ve missed it, gotta watch:

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Yep, yeast pee alcohol.
Well not quite. :snooty:
The excrement from Yeast converts Sugar to alcohol.
As the alcohol content rises, the Yeast die and sink to the bottom of the wine.

Moral to the story:
As your population grows, you will die in your own wastes.

Therefore eat more...

HAGGIS!!!

Jim...

PS: I think an alternative to Haggis is to drink more Alcohol!:waycool::):plus:

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
Well not quite. :snooty:
The excrement from Yeast converts Sugar to alcohol.
As the alcohol content rises, the Yeast die and sink to the bottom of the wine.

Moral to the story:
As your population grows, you will die in your own wastes.

Therefore eat more...

HAGGIS!!!

Jim...

PS: I think an alternative to Haggis is to drink more Alcohol!:waycool::):plus:
Maybe that’s why I like wheat beer so much!

bletso

Aug 20, 2013
Globe 38 PCB
True, Haggis goes better with a bit of the bubbly, but it is absolutely mandated with a balut. (Found throughout Asia and the Philippines)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I'm good with 5 min grits but 30 min grits cooked with chicken broth is way better. Then, add cheese, shrimp, haggis. It's great. :p
- Will (Dragonfly)

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
I don't think I'm going to enjoy hard boiled eggs anymore. There is no way back.
“Is that your hair or a bird hair?”? Really? A bird hair?
On the other hand, I don’t eat even full-grown duck. Something about having a pet duck as a child. Named Hannibal.

bletso

Aug 20, 2013
Globe 38 PCB
Bird hair, beak, feet, an unhatched duck. Let's say, 40 yrs on and I have never forgotten the experience and I was well lubed with the local beverage.