H41 folding/feathering propeller performance

bart

Nov 5, 2012
hunter 41 cranston,RI
My 2008 41DS with the 54hp engine and a 3 blade max prop does 6.9 to 7.0 at 2300 rpm. The max prop works great in reverse and has given me no problems.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
It sounds like all in the proper pitch and maybe try different adjustment of pitch which works best.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
This statement is in the running for the most ridiculous thing I've read today.
Probably so. It was made in reference to the posts to that point. A couple of posters said they had problems and had heard of others with problems with this prop.
I had a Max Prop on my Hunter 380. I was not happy with the boat speed and the feathering of that prop.
I have a few friends that have been complaining about their
Max prop and so unhappy they removed it.
It was a hasty statement to make.
Plenty of posters followed up with immediate support of the product.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
Having installed and maintained Max Props for over twenty years, I can tell you that not only are they the most popular feathering prop ever made, but dissatisfied owners are extremely few and far in between.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Probably so. It was made in reference to the posts to that point. A couple of posters said they had problems and had heard of others with problems with this prop.

It was a hasty statement to make.
Plenty of posters followed up with immediate support of the product.

- Will (Dragonfly)
I installed a Maxprop on my 2008 Hunter 38 based on calling the Hunter dealer who sold me the boat and asking what feathering prop he recommended. I've been extremely happy with it. So much so that when our friends ordered a new Catalina 355 we recommended it to them and the ordered the boat with it. They too have been extremly happy.

If you do a search of the archives on this site you will find more threads than you can count on feathering props. What will be very obvious when you do that is that there are as many "favorites" as there are posters. Maybe that has to do with everyone wanting to feel the one they bought is the best.

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
We have a Vari-Prop 3 Blade 19" (DF-107) on our H41DS. We have been very pleased with it. No prop walk and it pushes the boat at a little over 7 Kts at 2500 RPM. I do regular maintenance on it, mainly greasing and checking its operation but overall happy. Interesting that I see so few people have Vari-Props.

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
PYI/Maxprop suggest increasing prop angle to 22 degrees after I gave them my gear ratio of 2.33 . My Yanmar 54 attains 100% rpm easily so I will bump up the pitch angle and see what happens.