H37C Accommodation Layout Change, too much?

Blaise

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Bradenton
Vol II. One thing to consider about moving your galley. Hunter didn't just have a crap load of little hatches laying around, looking for a home. The reason most boats have a hatch over the galley is to let the heat out. How well will a hatch work over the new location? Other changes I have seen include removing the two bulkheads that enclose the aft cabin, then turning the nav station 90 degrees to fit against the hull. This made the boat look twice as big inside.I removed the table and actually made another that folded up against the main bulkhead. That was a wast of time. It is rare that anyone wants to eat below. On the subject of another quarterberth, there is no free lunch. You still have to put all that crap somewhere. If you want to rename that space from lazerette to quarterberth, that is certainly your choice, but the fenders and boathooks, and deckbrushes still have to go somewhere. By the way, if you and your wife need all this communication and WIFI stuff, maybe its not really a vacation. By the way, the fuel tank is under the port quarterberth.

FredV

Oct 16, 2011
Hunter 37-cutter Philadelphia, PA
My 3 cents worth. I've been living on my 37-C for 5 years now, so have a fairly decent idea about accommodations, etc.

1. She's built like a tank - not a Bradley or Humvee - a tank!
2. Unless you plan to do all your cooking while docked, the U-shaped galley works! I really like Blaise's modifications, but even with the current configuration, the galley works extremely well.
3. There's no way you can consider the aft cabin as a double. I've tried it - me plus one, a daughter with boyfriend, a child and a dog - no one liked it, including the dog!

I admire your aspirations - good luck!