H376 Fuel/Engine stop-shutdown cable replacement

rfrye1

Jun 15, 2004
Hunter H376 San Diego
Looking thru Archives for answers to my question, nobody actually discusses the process of this job. Seems pretty straightforward, but I'm just wondering from anyone who has done it...
Potential problems? Issues? Helpful tips?
Thanks. Bob

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
do you have 2 morse cables running from your cockpit helm pedestal to your engine -- one for gear shift, one for engine throttle? the replacement procedure is simple: get new cables that are the same model and length as your originals. (morse stamps the cable length and model on the cover.) take pictures of the cable attachment for gear and throttle at the pedestal and engine sides. detach the old cable at both its pedestal side and engine side. carefully and firmly attach the engine end of the new cable to the pedestal side of the old cable. working with 2 people, one at pedestal and one at engine side, gently pull the old cable down from the pedestal through to the engine compartment . the new engine side cable will be attached to it. total job about 4 hours-- once you get the right cable. and if you don't pull so hard that you disconnect the new cable from the old. Warning: be sure to duplicate the measurements for the adjustment screw engine side attachments for the throttle cable, as this controls your idle speed.

Jan 1, 2014
Hunter 42 Upper Chesapeake
If it is the stop engine cable then I believe it could be a bit of a job. On my P42 the side of the engine where the stop engine cable connects is on the side that is only reachable by laying on top of the engine and contorting ones hands. The cable slides into a small hole then gets compressed by a small bolt (think 10 speed brakes). Not a hard task in concept and if you can reach it then a easy task. Took 3 people to fix mine - 1 to move cable in and out from cockpit. 1 - to relay messages from me to person in cockpit 1 -to bruse chest and contort hands and cuss out hunter design for engines access.

rfrye1

Jun 15, 2004
Hunter H376 San Diego
I tried to pull the inner cable out from the cockpit the other day to clean and lube it. Wouldn't budge more than a few inches. I sprayed WD and PB down the cable housing, waited for 30 min, worked it back and forth. Best I could get was 3 inches! Yes I agree with Puesta, not a great design. Right up there with the Raw Water Impeller tucked behind/above the starter on my H376!!
What I ended up doing was adjust the stop on the cable so I only need to pull about 1-2" of the cable to stop the engine.

Jan 1, 2014
Hunter 42 Upper Chesapeake
Have you checked where the cable snakes through - I am pretty sure that part of the issue was the cable sheave was pinched between a corner. Couldn't prove this as I had already disconnected and pulled the cable out and as a whole it was in good shape and not corroded etc.