H35.5 Primary Fuel Filter Location

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Roger Magill

We recently went through the ritual of having to change the fuel filters in our '90 H35.5 and a few questions arose that perhaps someone out there has the answers to..... The present primary filter is a Racor 110, located in the area under the aft bunk, alongside the drive shaft. This area only allows a 7" high filter and I am looking for some thoughts on better areas in which I might relocate some larger replacement ones, preferably with a see-through bowl and self priming pump. Also, is it advisable to go with a double filter (side-by-side) setup? Additionally, I am having a hell of a time bleeding the system using the manual lift pump lever on the Yanmar 3GM30. Doesn't seem to have any resistant at all. I understand that it is necessary to rotate the shaft until the cam connects, but, after a number of turns I still don't seem to get any resistance at all. Any tips on how to know you're in the proper place?.....or do you just keep pumping until your finger falls off?

D

Dave Brengelmann

After your fingers off, try this!

I went through the same thing earlier this year (shortly after our insurance company bought us a new Yanmar for our 35.5) with our push down lever. When you're bleeding the air, you've got to push that lever down an extra quarter of an inch further than you think you need to . . . that's when all the work is done. You'll initially feel that you're going to break the lever but you aren't. One last thing for future reference. If you think that your engine isn't getting fuel properly, take a look at the siphon tube inside the fuel tank, there is a small screen that gets sucked up into the suction tube and can get full of gunk. You'll notice that your engine might die at high RPM's. Don't worry, if it hasn't happened to you yet it will, at the worst time!

S

SteveC

Dave is right

about the little screen in the fuel pick-up. It will clog at the worst time. recommend you remove it and let the filter trap the crap.....

R

Rex

Bulb pump

On my '90 35.5, I added a rubber bulb for priming the system. At any marine store, buy a replacement bulb for the typical outboard engine fuel hose. Cut the diesel line between the tank and your Racor, and insert the bulb with appropriately sized hose clamps. When you need to prime the system, a few squeezes of the bulb will fill the Racor, and one more will prime to the high pressure pump on the engine. Works great. Rex

R

Ron Hughes

Fuelish pride

My 35.5 had the filter mounted about a foot and a half back, on the port side of the locker under the center of the aft cabin. I was just able to fit one of the smallest Racors with the see-thru bowl at the bottom in the same spot. If you use a pie-tin you can catch the diesel as you empty the bowl of it's gunk. Ask your Racor distributor about getting the model that has a built-in priming pump. I don't know where you might fit a redumdent system in a 35.5, but I just installed one in my 40.5. The Racors with pump work like a charm. I think it is a good idea to hard-plumb them in. It makes for a very sturdy installation. I would recommend 10 micron filters for the primaries and 2 micron on the Yanmar. I never had any problem with my fuel screen, like the other guys who responded, but it sounds like a prudent thing to consider doing. Write me at hughcorp@teleport.com if you like. Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.