H260 Remove and Replace Centerboard While in Water

May 14, 2016
Hunter H260 Winter Park, FL
I thought this solution might be of use to other H260, H26 model owners. Might apply to the 240's as well.

I changed my centerboard uphaul line by dropping the centerboard while the boat was in the water and then reinstalling it with the new CB uphaul line attached. It was actually a fairly easy process if you have an area to work in that has a shallow gently sloping bottom with relatively good visibility. Mine was done in a Florida lake with a sandy bottom.

Materials:
12" long 3/4" diameter threaded rod (home depot). Weld a strong steel eye carefully on to one end so that you can still slide a 3/4" nut past the eye on to the threaded rod. (see Photo)
Cradle for the centerboard (see photo) Mine was constructed with 2 by 4's and 2 by 12's.
15' to 20' of line. We'll call it CB removal line (attaches to the eye on the threaded rod). I used a spare piece of Sta-set double braid.

To Remove Centerboard
Need to be in roughly 4' to 4.5' +/- of water at the CB for it to drop to the bottom and clear the hull. Less if you pump out the ballast tank. Wooden cradle isn't needed for this step.

The salon table was lifted out of the way by cutting a short piece of 2" schedule 40 PVC in half lengthwise and clamping it to the compression post with hose clamps. (see photo)

Run a ratchet strap or straps around the boat at the aft end of the CB trunk to hold the CB firmly in place. I also stretched a tarp under the boat to catch the CB bracket pins if they fell out during the CB removal (they did).

Remove the CB trunk cover plate to reveal the factory bolt in the CB bracket. Cut away sealant, remove factory bolt, and install the threaded rod about 3/4" into the CB bracket. If the ratchet strap is tight then everything should be in alignment. Your clue will be as you loosen the factory bolt. If it spins freely after a few turns, then alignment shouldn't be an issue. If it is tight or binding, you can visually determine if the bolt is centered in the trunk and shift the CB bracket slightly to free any binding. If misalignment can't be achieved at this point, don't attempt to force the threaded rod and risk cross-threading the CB bracket. Just release the ratchet strap and hopefully the CB will fall to the lake bottom on the tarp.

Assuming you have the threaded rod in place, attach the CB removal line to the eye with a simple bowline knot. I did this alone, so I ran a 3/4" nut finger tight on the threaded rod to hold the CB bracket in position, then loosened the ratchet strap and let the CB swing down to rest on the bottom. While holding the line, spin the 3/4" nut off the threaded rod and gently lower the remaining centerboard, CB bracket and threaded rod to the lake bottom on the tarp. Mine took a little wiggling but dropped right out. At this stage you don't really feel the true weight of the CB due to the buoyancy of the water.

Float the boat out of the way and you can simply walk right up to the whole assembly lying there on the lake bottom. Unscrew the threaded rod with the CB removal line still tied off inside the boat for later use. Lifting the CB out of the water at this stage is when you feel the full weight. I had some fiberglass repairs to do so it had to come out.

To Re-Install

Note - During reassembly I used the zip tie trick to keep the centerboard pins in place (thanks to others on this forum). New uphaul line was in place, ready to be pulled thru with tracer line.

Put the cradle in place and drop the CB in position (see photos). CB bracket should be in roughly 4.5' to 5' of water depth.....yours may vary.

Screw the threaded rod back into the CB bracket. Remember that the CB removal line runs from the eye on the threaded rod back up thru the CB trunk thru the factory bolt hole and is tied off inside the boat.

You really need a second person for this step. Float the boat over the CB sitting in the cradle while trying to align everything as much as possible. Pull the slack out of the CB removal line and the tracer for the new uphaul line. As you pull on the CB removal line it will naturally pull the threaded rod and CB bracket toward the trunk in the bottom of the boat and virtually guides the threaded rod directly through the factory bolt hole. Make sure your partner is simultaneously pulling the new uphaul line into place. Spin a 3/4" nut over the threaded rod and slowly pull and tighten until the CB bracket is tight and bottomed out in the trunk.

Re-attach the ratchet strap(s) and firmly swing and snug the CB to the fully up position. A ratchet strap should be close to the CB bracket trunk to prevent the CB bracket from shifting.

Back inside, loosen the temporary nut on the threaded rod and re-position the CB bracket as needed until the threaded rod spins freely in and out. You can use the threaded rod as a lever to make slight adjustments to the alignment. Remove the threaded rod, apply 5200 to the factory bolt, insert, tighten and that's it.

I studied all of the jack up the trailer, blocking, homemade cradle and sling approaches to making this repair on the hard and concluded this was the safest alternative for me with minimal investment. Maybe $20 plus the new uphaul line. Fair winds to all.

Attachments

Jan 13, 2017
Hunter 23.5 Panama City, Florida
Great job on removal and reinstallation. I did kind of the same thing to remove the centerboard on my 1993 23.5, except I backed my boat into the water on a good steep ramp, removed the centerboard, and drove the boat and trailer out of the water afterward. Unfortunately, my centerboard is still out while I repair some extensive damage to the trailing edge due to water intrusion and corrosion on the steel plate inside. I certainly hope Hunter did a better job manufacturing the centerboard for the later model 240's and 260's. Mine had only about a 1/16 inch bead of glue holding the two halves together. Just a small knick allowed water into the unglued air pocket surrounding the steel plate. I posted some pictures on the thread "centerboard parts" and will post more when I finish the job. I do regret not doing this early when my boat was sitting on a trailer beside my garage all winter. Oh well, the crowds are out in St. Andrew Bay in Panama City by now anyway.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
One concern. I would suggest turning the table which has to be risen some to extend the v berth will give some height. Similar fashion helping a customer who had the table secured like yours. It fell hitting me on the head knocking me out. I err on the side of safety

May 14, 2016
Good point Dave. The table is a beast. I used a couple of 2 by 4's to prop it up while I set up the PVC collar. One thing I didn't mention in my original post is that I wrapped the compression post with some sheet rubber, then clamped the PVC collar tightly over the rubber to keep it from sliding down the compression post. Always safety first. Thanks for the comment.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
May try that on the ramp but will let someone else put it in of course I will be there. Even us old salty sea dogs still learn.

Jun 28, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Paupack, PA
Bravoooo, brilliant, and well documented. I've already added this post to my favorites. I have often shuddered at the thought of suspending my boat on slings or cradles, for fear of point loading, or stressing her 22 year old ballast tank. I have even suggested, er, with perhaps less detail, this very thing. Very gracious of you to post the entire procedure here. Three cheers! But, if I may ask, how did you know it was time to remove and replace?

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Clever method. Thanks for posting.

If a welder was not available, another possibility might be to grind the sides of the thread rod down a bit & drill through the remaining thread rod directly.

Nicely done.

Just one question:
Being as I don't know how heavy the centerboard for that particular boat is, I am left to wonder how stable the boat was in the water with the board removed. Did you need to handle the boat in any special way to prevent her from capsizing?

Jimmy

Jan 28, 2018
Hunter 26 lake Powell lake mead
The center board on my h26 is about 100 lb shouldn’t effect stability just don’t go out sailing without it.

May 14, 2016
GGordonWoody.....thanks for the comment. My uphaul line was original to the boat and was frayed on deck so there was no question it needed replaced. I delayed for quite some time due to the risks I saw with the various jacking, blocking, sling methods. Ironically, we had a dry spell and the CB started dragging on the bottom pulling into the slip. Looking at the clearances underneath with a mask is when the proverbial light went off about pulling it while in the water. Glad I did. It really was very easy once I mapped out the process.

Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
Great idea and appreciate the photos- I need to change my 20 year-old uphaul and have no lift nearby. I may give this a try if I can find a good shallow spot in our lake. On the cradle, how wide should the slot be? Cannot measure my centerboard now that it is in the water.

May 14, 2016
Great idea and appreciate the photos- I need to change my 20 year-old uphaul and have no lift nearby. I may give this a try if I can find a good shallow spot in our lake. On the cradle, how wide should the slot be? Cannot measure my centerboard now that it is in the water.
I couldn't measure mine either and guessed at roughly 2 3/4" for the slot and it was a little sloppy but it doesn't matter. Once you start pulling on the tracer line to the threaded rod, it just guides itself right up into the CB trunk and through the factory bolt hole. The buoyancy of the CB while in the water makes lifting the heavy CB quite easy.

Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
Finally getting around to replacing the original line on my '98 240. Will try this underwater method- has anyone else tried this on a 240?

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
This is a clever method for replacing the keel haul line. Im curious how you positioned the boat? Was this on a ramp or a dock or what? How did you keep it from drifting around while you worked on it? Did you hold your breath a lot or have a hookah or ?

I have always been curious about the buoyancy of the hunter swing keels and you confirmed what I suspected- That they are just a little bit negative buoyant. The up haul has very little mechanical advantage, so thats the only way it would make sense for it to be so easy to pull up, relative to its size. I had the local boat yard guy telling me that the Hunter keels were a flawed design and I should modify the uphaul to pull from the tip. I did not take his advice.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Paul F H260

Under boat info for the Hunter 260, can you post the synopsis or review with photos under owner mods for us please.

Please thought include the following. First have a second person with you for safety. Also include securing the table which is a must as I do not want to hear anyone get clobbered in the head should it fall, thus one reason for a second person around as well as being in the water. Many thanks for your work.