H26 Stern Rail Seats For Sale or Drawings.

BrianW

Jan 7, 2005
Hunter 26 Guntersville Lake, (AL)
John, any more plans on making up drawings? Maybe, you could work something out with sailboat.com and they with a fabricator. John? Phil? Whatcha think?

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 26 Illinois
Boy, what a pain

So far I have about 20-30 hours into the 3D model for the seats, then got busy. This as I expected, is going to be very difficult because there are so many compound curves. First I have taken tons of dimensions and angles and curves of the seat rails and they have compound angles. Second I have taken dimensions and angles and curves of the stern of the boat. Almost nothing is horizontal or vertical and the stern both curves and rises at the same time as you go toward the cabin. Then of course the hull has a changing angle outward as it goes to the rubrail. So that's my rant.

So....I keep modifying the tubes by small increments of angles and lengths and truncated radii as I think they are, to fit the shape of the boat curve, rise and angle as I think it is, to make them fit. My fear is that I will finally get a shape that I think works and then it is made and doesn't fit! I would hate that! I know we had to tweek most of the feet on mine to make it fit, but still...

Too bad we don't know someone with a laser measuring device like they use to make those custom car mats or the Museum of Natural History is using to make the models of Lincolns death mask etc.

I'll keep working on it because I like a challenge and because I hate to quit something I start.

BrianW

Jan 7, 2005
Just thought I would check to see if there have been any new developments since 2014 on availability of H26 stern rail seats? Does anyone know of an H26 salvage boat?
Thanks! BrianW

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
BrainW
Contact the new owner, Al Fooks, with SBO direct. See if he cannot locate those drawings. If he can't, you are out of luck.

AL FOOKs or AFOOKs@SBO.com
Can you come up with the drawings for the stern rail seats for the 26/260 and see if Mike can make them? Please advise.
Crazy Dave

BrianW

Jan 7, 2005
Thanks Dave!
Do the 26 and 260 have the same stern rail seats? BrianW

BrianW

Jan 7, 2005
The email to the above address came back to me as undelivered.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Brian, have you checked with Railmakers?
http://www.railmakers.com/
Maybe they can make a set for you.
They made the bow pulpit and pushpit for my Macgregor 26S, which was installed at the factory. Real nice quality. Their web site does not list Hunter, but ya never know! Maybe they can make it. I'm sure it would cost big $$$ though.

When I look at my H26 it really doesn't look like it should be too difficult for a company that makes that stuff. The seats only have three mounting points.
20160822_062011.jpg

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 26 Illinois
OK. I have solidworks files of the sternrail assembly, all the individual parts and the seat. If you can find someone to make them, I can supply them with the files. NOW, these drawings are based on a 20 year old fiberglass boat and hand measurements, so I cannot guarantee that they will be a perfect fit, however I believe they will be close enough that with some tweeking, they can be made to work. When I bought mine from Hunter for my 10 year old boat the seats did not fit and I had to bend about 4 places to make them work. It would be nice if when these drawings are used that I got feedback on modifications needed and could modify the drawings accordingly.

Oct 3, 2014
Marlow-Hunter MH37 Lake City, MN
@BrianW when we bought our Hunter 33.5 last year I also had stern rail seat envy and looked into what it would take to have new stern rails, with seats, fabricated.

I found these folks: http://www.whitewatermarineinc.com
and corresponded with them through their contact page. They suggested that they could modify the existing railings for a lot less money than replacements. His estimate to modify the existing rails for my H33.5 was $400 per side, plus the cost of the starboard seats, plus about $200 for shipping. There would also be shipping cost to him. For the mods, shipping both ways, and starboard seats figure $1500.

His estimate for a complete new set of split stern rails, with seats was $2200, plus shipping.

We have not moved forward with this idea because we're still doing the "need to do" projects but hope to get to the "want to do" projects soon.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Brian, have you checked with Railmakers?
http://www.railmakers.com/
Maybe they can make a set for you.
They made the bow pulpit and pushpit for my Macgregor 26S, which was installed at the factory. Real nice quality. Their web site does not list Hunter, but ya never know! Maybe they can make it. I'm sure it would cost big $$$ though.

When I look at my H26 it really doesn't look like it should be too difficult for a company that makes that stuff. The seats only have three mounting points.
View attachment 136359
I know that harbor. :) Good ole Oceanside!

BrianW

Jan 7, 2005
Brian D and Doug J, I checked with railmakers. They indicated they do not have plans for the H26 and it would be a cu$tom job. I don't think I can afford that type of work. Thanks for the suggestion! BrianW

Aug 3, 2018
Hunter 26 Ca
Hey, Brian
Just wondering if you were able to get those stern seats made and installed? I have a 1993 26’ and also have “stern seat envy”!

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Brian D and Doug J, I checked with railmakers. They indicated they do not have plans for the H26 and it would be a cu$tom job. I don't think I can afford that type of work. Thanks for the suggestion! BrianW
Do you already have the rail and only need the seat? If so, you could cut one out of starboard or PVC board. I had mine off this summer for varnish work and I could easily take them off again and trace the design for you.

BrianW

Jan 7, 2005
Islandboy1900, I contacted the folks here at SBO and they said there were 2 or 3 variations on the H26 stern rail seat designs..... and they were able to locate drawings for ONE of the designs. They asked me to take several photos of my H26 stern and send them to them. From their photos, they said they could tell if my stern design is compatible with the stern rail seat design they have. I sent my photos and didn't hear back from them. I followed up again, but have not heard back. It's been over 6 months! Al Fooks! Mike? Anybody there? Thanks, BrianW

Jan 19, 2010
They asked me to take several photos of my H26 stern and send them to them.
@BrianW
Can you send me a copy of that photo? If it looks like my stern rail, I can easily get you a trace of my seats and a simple jig saw would be all you need to cut one out.

Aug 3, 2018
Hunter 26 Ca
rgranger
I don’t have the rails/seats yet and that would be AWESOME if you could trace yours!! Thanks I’m advance for your help!!!
Brian, if you’re nice maybe rgranger would share with you too...

BrianW

Jan 7, 2005
Rgranger, thanks for the offer! However, the H26 stern rail seat is very different than the non-seat design. The stern rail seat design extends way beyond the stern hull and over the water. The non-seat design simply follows the hull’s curve. I could place a flat seat within the rail’s inside curve, but it would serve only to elevate me over the interior of the cockpit. BrianW

Jan 19, 2010
rgranger
I don’t have the rails/seats yet and that would be AWESOME if you could trace yours!! Thanks I’m advance for your help!!!
Brian, if you’re nice maybe rgranger would share with you too...
Okay

As soon as the hurricane passes, I'll uncover the boat and get a trace.