Gulf Stream crossing complete

Nov 19, 2009
Hunter 45CC Ft Pierce and Abaco Bahamas
I left Ft. Pierce inlet about an hour before sunrise last Wednesday the 6th, set up a direct course to White Sand Ridge and let the auto make the necessary course corrections. I normally do a “set and drift” so this was an experiment. We had a light south wind, 5-10 kts, mostly about 7-8 kts, seas were mostly 1-2 feet. Within the Gulf Stream it took about a 35 degree southerly course off the rhumb line to stay on course. Boat speed was about 7.8 knots and at the mid point in the stream the worst speed I saw was 5.4 SOG. Crossed White Sand Ridge in 12 hours and went on to Great Sale Cay on flat beautiful nearly full moon lit water where we anchored in flat water. Up the next day and motored to Green Turtle Cay and got there at 16:30. We didn’t have time to get into customs before 17:00 (it wouldn’t have mattered, I found out the next day they weren’t there anyway). I Dinghy’d in the next morning to be there when they ... supposedly opened at 9:00, and I sat...and sat...
At around 11:30 the customs agent showed up and I filled out the paperwork, gave them $300 for a one year cruising permit and left. We then left GTC later than I wanted and wanted to go to Hope Town but we were going to arrive at low tide, and I need tide help to get in to there, plus it was supposed to be a stormy windy night, so we decided to anchor in Marsh Harbor for the night. The Storms never showed up and Left MH the next morning to time our arrival at Hope Town on near night tide, pulled in, got on a mooring and cracked a beer and watched the storms arrive. So I’m here, if anyone is around, come visit me on Painkiller.
I’m right at the base of the light house.
Cheers!
Ron
⛵

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
$300 for a year? Did they actually give you a one yr permit? Typical is 90 days with a 90 day extension.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Bravo and thanks for sharing. That exact experience is on my bucket list.

:)

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
when I was there- the cruising permit was for a year, the visa , for less- they gave me 120 days
I never received a visa, only a cruising permit. I wonder if we are mixing terms here?
My understanding is that you are allowed to keep the boat in country for a year (maybe longer?) without duty but that a permit for visitors is maximum 6 months.

Nov 19, 2009
The c
$300 for a year? Did they actually give you a one yr permit? Typical is 90 days with a 90 day extension.
The cruising permit for the boat is good for a year, they gave me 180 days for myself. She asked how long I was going to be here and I said 6 months. I need to either leave in 6 months or check in again I believe. The other woman that was checking in was surprised she gave us 6 months because she said GTC normally only gives 90 days.

Nov 19, 2009
I
I never received a visa, only a cruising permit. I wonder if we are mixing terms here?
My understanding is that you are allowed to keep the boat in country for a year (maybe longer?) without duty but that a permit for visitors is maximum 6 months.
I believe you are correct on that

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
The c

The cruising permit for the boat is good for a year, they gave me 180 days for myself. She asked how long I was going to be here and I said 6 months. I need to either leave in 6 months or check in again I believe. The other woman that was checking in was surprised she gave us 6 months because she said GTC normally only gives 90 days.
Right, 90 days is common. I talked with a woman in Georgetown who flies to Miami every 6 months and never leaves the airport. Jumps right back on a plane to Georgetown and stays another 6 months. Her boat has been imported so that isnt an issue.

Feb 28, 2013
Pacific Seacraft 40 Belfast
Gorgeous Girl is also here. Crossed over from Lake Worth to Memory Rock on Thursday. Stopped at Double Breasted, Moraine, and Powell cays. Cleared in at New Plymouth this morning. Give us a shout if you see us heading further south.