grounding configuration Hunter306

Oct 14, 2017
HUnter 306 Aruba
I'm currently checking my ground system and comparing it to the owners manual, apologies for the long posting but am struggling with the right answer.

Currently I have everything bonded together as follows:
  • mast and arch grounded to keel
  • keel grounded to grounding stud
  • thru hulls connected to buzz bar which is connected to keel
  • dc and ac connected to grounding stud
The 306 manual shows dc and ac connected to the grounding stud which is connected to the engine. Manual does not mention thru hulls connected to the grounding system. Did not find anything on mast grounding but from books and online articles this and the arch should be grounded to the keel. I found one thru-hull without a ground connection, this one looked clean, all others with a ground cable were green in color and showed crystals and oxidation.

Question I have is:
  1. Mast, stay-plate and Arch should be grounded to the keel, correct?
  2. DC and AC should be grounded to the grounding stud which should only be connected to the engine. Correct?
  3. Thru hulls should not be grounded to anything?
  4. Keel and engine/grounding stud should not be grounded. Correct?
What is the standard or recommendation?

Oct 14, 2017
HUnter 306 Aruba
On the same topic above. It was recommended that I use a Dynaplate as an additional grounding solution besides the zync on the propeller shaft. How would that work in combination with the bronze thru-hulls. Not sure what the added value is in placing the DynaPlate on the grounding system.