Goodbye Laboat.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Walking the dogs in the harbor yesterday, I said to my wife, "I wonder where Laboat is?" Laboat is an old wooden fishing boat in our harbor. It had been tied up in the Goose River for a couple of weeks. An orange electrical cord running out of Laboat indicated, she needed power to run her bilge pumps. Laboat has always been sinking, I know, from rowing by her bilge discharge for many years.

"Maybe he's out fishing", she said. I didn't think so, it was very cold, and I noticed her dock wasn't there either.

Sure enough, Laboat and her dock spent a half a day/night(?) drifting out of the harbor and across Western Penobscot Bay. No surprise to me that nobody saw her on that 12 mile or more drift.

She (and her dock) fetched up on North Haven Island just off the entrance to the Fox Island Thoroughfare.
Laboat large.jpg

Dock lines and cleats all held but the cheaply built dock let go. Sunk by Home Depot.

Don't despair though, I've known the captain casually for 20 years. Nice guy. He looks like the poster child for "it's a hard knock life",...I suspect he stuffs mattresses with Ben Franklins.
LABOAT 2 .jpg

His dog, a little rough looking, is the kindest animal on the landing.
LaBoat 2 Dog.jpg

I know that the boat washed up yesterday is in fact Laboat III

I shot Laboat 1(below), 20 years ago. Hope springs eternal. I bet LaboatIV will be in the harbor next season.

LaBoat 1.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 36_1980 Bass River, NJ
Pictures can say a thousand words. Tom, I enjoy your perspective
on life in your photography.

Last edited:

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
I remember that boat from Rockport, Tom. Sad.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
We are losing so many of those old boats we took for granted day in and day out.
I sat on the dock literally weeping, in Villefranche-sur-Mer (France) when I found Errol Flynn's Zaca, a mastless derelict with plywood nailed over the rotted out sections of her house and decks.
The only reason I ever wanted to be mega rich was to save these vessels like Zaca, Virginia Reel, and a dozen or so others I can't remember their names right now.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH

Zaca.
Errol Flynn is part of why I love sailing. The adventure begins.

-Will (Dragonfly)