Registered users don't see ads

Golden Globe race - to qualify!

Discussion in 'Ask All Sailors' started by Jackdaw, Jun 6, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Roadking Larry

Roadking Larry

Joined Mar 30, 2013
    632 posts, 133 likes
    Allied Seawind MK II 32'
    US Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
    It's been fun keeping tabs on this race.
    It's also been kind of a bummer seeing the negative comments about the rules of the race and even the "need" to do something like it.

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man(or woman) who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  2. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    7,325 posts, 2,803 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    Thank You @Roadking Larry for sharing the Theodore Roosevelt quote with us. He had a magical way with words.

I think he had a soft spot in his heart for doers.

Roadking Larry likes this.
  3. Mikem

Mikem

Joined Dec 20, 2009
    475 posts, 83 likes
    Hunter 466
    US Bremerton
    When taking star sights or sun lines are they allowed to use a computer for the sight reductions or do they have to be manually calculated?

4. Jackdaw

Jackdaw

Joined Nov 8, 2010
    9,656 posts, 2,707 likes
    Beneteau First 36.7 & 260
    US Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
    Manual. Except for emergency comms gear, there is no electronics on board that RKJ did not have.

5. Mikem

Mikem

Joined Dec 20, 2009
    475 posts, 83 likes
    Hunter 466
    US Bremerton
    Well I suppose when flying solo at less than 10 kts one has time to do that. It certainly takes practice. I always held my breath when laying down the LOP from the third star sight hoping for a small triangle and hence a good EP. Ditto for running sun lines. Thanks, Jack

Flexible steel chafe pads
Innovative new product made of flexible, laser cut stainless steel. Must see!
Sunbrella lifesling covers
Any color, fits over existing bag to match your existing canvas.
Turn any toilet into a Raritan for a fraction of the cost
The Raritan LBA matches your existing bowl with the pump/plumbing of a PHII or PHC. save!
20% OFF innovative boat clips!
FixClip holds laundry, tools, anything to rails and life lines even in strong winds.