GO Fund Me... the modern way to beg.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
I think social media is part of the problem... There are countless sailing channels now after SLVB and Delos defined the space (and Patreon potential). Many of these channels (I thinks SLVB included) openly admit in early episodes that they had little to no sailing experience before setting out. Although a good majority of them are capable and experienced sailors now that they have a couple years and several thousand miles under their keels, they learned 'en route' in the early days and were lucky there were no extraordinary circumstances or challenges that exceeded their ability early on.
Basically I'm just saying that the YouTube channels have given people the impression that you can 'learn as you go'.
By the way, anytime someone on any channel invokes the 'Living the Dream' Cliché I want to puke and I unsubscribe.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
anytime someone on any channel invokes the 'Living the Dream' Cliché I want to puke and I unsubscribe.
That's like a contestant on a singing show saying, "winning this will change my life. ":doh:
Really?

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
no one navigates any more. they brag that they don't even carry paper. they have a screen and they point and go'. sailing? they are motoring. just like most modern mom and pop sailors. roll out the jib once in a while. just like most every one else. prolly motor 85% of the time. let some auto pilot handle the helm. read a little manual and have the screen tell the autopilot where to go. they will do fine.
sail upwind, too uncomfortable, sail downwind, too uncomfortable, reach once in a while and listen to jimmy buffet tunes. their sailors. look around the marinas. very few modern cruising boat are set up to sail from A to B without the majority of the work done by the engine.

they'll do fine :)
Wow......

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
they'll do fine :)

Maybe not. This was just posted to another site: "Because these two fraudulently changed their goals after having received $5k, GFM has been refunding any donors to this campaign who request it."

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Maybe they will venture out and end up floating for weeks like the two women in the Pacific. Sounds like there skill levels are not much different and they “want to venture in to the ocean discovery”