Glad it happened in pre-race practice

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Racing with 3 on board BlueJ yesterday, breeze in the upper teens. We got hit with a 23 knot puff just as we were dousing. With the tiller between my legs and both hands filled with sheet and guy, I could not react in time to get to the main. Roundup! BlueJ clearly a stable boat; here we are getting dragged sideways through the water by a 650 ft^2 kite at over 4 knots. That's about as far over as she'll ever go. But we recovered and had a great race!

recovery.jpg

Feb 2, 2006
Hunter Legend 35 Kingston
What app/tool/technology did you use to overlay the GPS info on the picture? and, do you have the camera on a gimbal?
Good fun!

Chris

Jul 5, 2005
Beneteau 361 Sandusky Harbor Marina
Wow! I'd be hoping I was wearing my brown shorts if that happened to me. I too am curious to know how you gimble your camera. I hang a camera on a Scotty mount when my boat races, but have never found a gimble for it.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Been there before! More fun when they go to the other side! ;-)

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
It depends on the boat, but you might want to keep the hatch boards in.

Of course, with a multihull, that can look like this.

Nov 8, 2010
What app/tool/technology did you use to overlay the GPS info on the picture? and, do you have the camera on a gimbal?
Good fun!

Chris
Its a GoPro 5 Black on a DAL-1000 Horizon True leveling mount, love it. The GoPro has built in GPS and it stores the tracking as metadata in the MP4 file. The GoPro Quik software creates the overlays and (optionally) knits highlighted points into a video. The camera has voice control; you can say 'that was sick' and the GoPro notes the point on the video as a highlight.

http://www.horizontrue.com/self-leveling-camera-mounts.html

We mount ours to our VHF mast on the transom. You can see it here doing its leveling thing. This picture is from a Session GoPro on the mast that is not leveled. The HT mount has a mechanism in it to create a damping effect to keep it from swaying. If you buy one tell Jeff that Clay says 'hi'. He sails at our club. #BetaTester

mount.jpg

Last edited:

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
Hey, getting dragged downwind at 4 knots! On our side! That's not bad speed towards the mark. I'll post the video in a bit. Its uploading to youtube.
LOL JD, That is a silver lining I SUPPOSE: (Heading directly downwind) though being on your feet is faster, even if it is DDW with an Asym.....

What was the recovery? Looks like a blown tack and then gather the "flag?"

Nov 8, 2010
What was the recovery? Looks like a blown tack and then gather the "flag?"
Remember its a symmetrical. Kinda typical... quick check everyone OK and boat OK, then ease halyard to collapse the top of the kite, boat comes back on her feet, then retrieve the kite via the sheet (behind the main) into the cockpit.

Nov 8, 2010
Like I said, kinda glad it happened in practice. No one else on the boat had been in a broach that could not be recovered by turning down. So it took a few seconds for them to spring in action on command. But they stayed cool and executed well.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
haha "I guess Jodi is important afterall"....
Been spending so much time with Asym's I forget about the pole. Looks like gust hit at the worst time: with the pole off so that the chute rotated and pinned you.

Nov 8, 2010
haha "I guess Jodi is important afterall"....
Been spending so much time with Asym's I forget about the pole. Looks like gust hit at the worst time: with the pole off so that the chute rotated and pinned you.
The worst part is with 3 on board the maneuvers are VERY busy. During jibes I'm driving with the tiller between my knees, and have the sheet and guy in each hand. At some point i have to grab the mainsheet and throw the boom over. I felt the lefty puff too late to react well. The jib being out a seconds earlier would have helped too.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Exciting. The camera is an excellent tool to review the experience and learn how to deal with issues in the future. Very cool.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Agree, I find these videos very helpful.