Gin pole pictures

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
This is my little contribution to the mast raising system topic. This is how is have addressed the issue with the help of several folks and and some tweaking.

http://forums.hunter.sailboatowners.com/album.php?albumid=3669

Fair winds,
Steven
Looks good.

On our third variation we arrived at essentially the same configuration. Using it constantly for 2 years now. 5 minutes install and up/3min down. Gin pole on and off. Very very quick and easy.

If you are going to handle it in wind, on traverse inclines, or while on the water you are going NEED to rig some mast baby stays. Ours attach to the same bail as the gin pole winch line. The pole doesn't need them.

You could grind the O's at the end of your SS steel plates into U's so that the gin pole would just slip over your SS stud. Leave the plates on the gin pole permanent. Makes handling the gin pole in/deinstall much easier and that pole isn't going anywhere especially when under tension. I hope that is a brake winch you are using, otherwise someday we might refer to you as the toothless salt.

We now just leave the gin pole attached to the mast step all rigged and ready to use laying on the front deck while trailering. Pipe foam makes good cushioning or wrapping the gin pole anchor line around the head of the pole to cushion the block.

Small "ball bungies" would be more suitable in place of the blue tape. Believe me when I say I have learned this.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
Steven - is the fitting under the mast, the one that has the slots on the vertical plates on either side of the mast, a stock fitting? Or is that something you added as part of your system? My 23 does not have anything like that (I assume it is the tabernacle); I must have a different mast manufacturer. Mine has an aluminum casting mounted to the deck, that lacks any sort of vertical "side flaps." I use a stout aluminum gin pole that attaches to the mast, but unlike yours, it stays at 90 degrees to the mast as it raises.

stvnm

Oct 27, 2014
Hunter H23 Lanier
I fabricated the gin pole as my H23 did not have one. The tabernacle was there though. I have seen other pictures of same tabernacle, so I presume is manufacturer installed. My understanding is that there are at least three mast manufacturers (I can't remember the names) for H23, but I have inquired them and they did not recognize my type.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
I believe mine was Z Spar, for what that's worth.

Nice system - the tabernacle bracket and that threaded transverse rod is what I assume pins the mast to the boat (no separate hinge pin)? That looks to be easier to attach than the hinge pin on mine, which requires exact alignment of the pin and the mast plate - can be tricky while trying to horse the mast foot down. Also looks like you could do it and not have the mast top quite as high. No way I could do that alone on mine.