Gasket material

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
This came up a while back and someone mentioned cutting up an old wet suite. I didn't have an old wet suite so...
IMG_2423.JPG
IMG_2424.JPG
gasket3.jpg

I made one out of goop. I've used goop to make gaskets for swing keel bolts in the past as well. It works amazingly well. See photos. The first is the masking tape damn that I made around the ballast thank valve cover. Then I filled it in with goop and let it harden. I did not get a good pic of the finished product but in the third photo, you can see the gasket I made for a swing keel bolt on a previous boat. If you clean the metal on the inside surface of the ballast tank, the goop will stick very well to it and make a nice rubber gasket. You can get goop at Lowes.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The material that the forum store pretty much what the original boats came with. Thank you Groshong for advising. However it is up to the discretion of the owner as to what he or she thinks is proper to do with their boat.

Jan 23, 2014
Hunter H26 Peachland
I did check it out however, the shipping was too expensive as I live in Canada.

Jan 23, 2014
Hunter H26 Peachland
I did see a suggestion of using a double layer of a computer mouse pad cut to size and glues in place. Any thoughts on that?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I did check it out however, the shipping was too expensive as I live in Canada.
I also looked at it and the shipping was over $8 even here in the U.S. Not sure why it should cost that much but shipping turned out to be half the cost.

So I passed.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Automotive neophrene? When not sure, go to the source for it. I deal with a train shop or two in Canada and shipping was not that astronomical.

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
We can always ship 1st class USPS to Canada for less money. We never charge any amount over the actual shipping cost.