Garage Sailer

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
hang from the soffit under the eave of the house in the back yard
In fl this is a crime. :)

Im in a "deed restricted" community (HOA). Everyone has more say about the house than i do. The rule lords would put my head on a pike and they would dance in the cudesac every year to celebrate the mast hung on roof resolution.

I try to sail at least twice a month and walking around back and dragging the spreaders across the stucco as it is raised and lowered sounds like work.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Tandem Island?
Yes,,

Im not sure I would pick it over a more conventional sailboat but its been a huge amount of fun. The stock boat is super easy to launch off a trailer and not hard to do in under 10 minutes. Its a fairly dry sail with just one person in the rear seat and gets a little wetter with two people but not bad. My wife actually likes the TI better than the sailboat because she can peddle and gets some exercise on an outing. Very stable and with the infinite and easy furling sail, it has a huge wind range. The mirage drive pedal assembly actually works nicely and it makes a great two person kayak with the amas and sail removed.

The boomless sail suffers going down wind so Hobie introduced a spinnaker kit. It complicates the boat now needing a rotating mast topper with backstay and forestay but it looks like a fun option

Seriously off topic here but I am currently trying an experiment where Im using an easy to remove windsurfing mast (top section of two piece mast) as a boom. The original intent was that the boom would act like a whisker pole to improve down wind which seemed to be the case (first picture). Second picture shows the boat hitting 9.32 mph (8.1 knts) on a slightly off the wind reach. This same day my peak speed was 10 knots but that is not a common speed to hit. In the third picture you can see a loop I added that acts like a vang and preventer. The last two pictures show how I can adjust the twist on that sail (unstayed bendy mast). Im just trying the boom out, only used it one time. The boom makes the front seat unusable but the TI is fun to sail single handed from the rear seat. The boom must be easy to disconnect at the back as you cant reef the main with the boom connected. When my wife comes along, I just dont use the boom.

Attachments

Last edited:

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
In fl this is a crime. :)

Im in a "deed restricted" community (HOA). Everyone has more say about the house than i do. The rule lords would put my head on a pike and they would dance in the cudesac every year to celebrate the mast hung on roof resolution.

I try to sail at least twice a month and walking around back and dragging the spreaders across the stucco as it is raised and lowered sounds like work.
How long is your mast? Do the spreaders fold?

The reason I ask is that maybe you could cut an access hatch into the bottom of the soffit above your garage opening, and slide your mast up into the attic from below?
Attic.jpg

It depends on your mast size, and attic configuration. My attic extends way beyond the back of the garage. probably 30-40 feet from the soffit edge to the peak of the roof

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
The answer is,

The Compac 16. Beautiful weekender and daysailer
Big support organization, lots of used ones around. Designed by Clark Mills from Clearwater Fl.
Easy to trailer, easy to launch.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Or, something more traditional,

Gaff rigs and gunter rigs generally have pretty short sticks.

Then there is the crab claw,

- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
How would you know?
Are you asking how I know who designed the Compac 16 or how I know that's is the answer to garage storage?

I knew Clark. He designed the Compac 16 as the Suncat, originally and had one as his personal sailboat. My father had him redesign one for him with a bow sprit and a gaff rig, a fixed keel and a little inboard volvo diesel. He named her Puff and sailed her up to Robin Hood Marina in Maine from Clearwater.

As to the other question, I think that's obvious. ;)

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Are you asking how I know who designed the Compac 16 or how I know that's is the answer to garage storage?
How would YOU know whether it's easy to trailer and to launch? Did you ever trailer one, launch one, or even ever sail in one?

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
How would YOU know whether it's easy to trailer and to launch? Did you ever trailer one, launch one, or even ever sail in one?
OOOHh!
No.

But I own a 19 foot Mariner, 1400 lbs. Sits low on a light trailer with her cb. Mast is as easy to raise as I can imagine a boat her size to be (I do it by myself, first time slick as you please. I thought it was easier than my hobie cat). I can only assume, 3' shorter boat, 8' shorter mast, the Compac 16 should be a breeze. I have read and heard testimonials to that effect.

Oh yeah, I have sailed on one, but I was a kid and not the captain. Plus, I sailed the last leg on Puff, from Atlantic City across the Gulf of Maine.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
I'm thinking of adding a hitch pivot, putting the boat straight in, then suspending mast from ceiling.
If I was going to mess with trailer modifications, I think that I would probably cut down the existing tongue, and make an extension tongue that slides under the existing tongue. That way you would be able to vary the tongue length from probably about 2 feet shorter than it is now, to probably 6 feet longer. That could come in handy at certain ramps as well as in your garage.

I think that suspending the mast from the ceiling for storage is a good move.