garage clearance - trailer bunk height

Dec 22, 2016
catalina 22 Panama City, FL
I can currently get my trailered 22 inside my garage, however, the swing keel is not installed yet. Before installing, I will need to raise my trailer bunks. But how much ?
With the keel installed and fully retracted (from internet drawings) it appears that the lowest point of the keel is the corner, underneath/opposite the cable attach point. The other end of the keel that has the pivot pin, appears to be higher. The tip of the keel near the cable attach point, appears to extend out of the keel cavity in the hull. If the keel width at that point is 16.5", then I need at least that much clearance above my trailer cross-member. Since the retracted keel does not appear to be parallel to the hull, I will need more than 16.5" (hopefully just slightly more).
Does all of the above sound correct ?
Does anyone know any exact dimensions that would help with my calculations ?
Thanks.

Dec 22, 2016
Thanks LakeShark.
The pdf posted by watercolors II helped me realize that the fully retracted keel appears to stay within the cavity in the hull and does not extend past the cavity like I estimated in my first post. I may also have been wrong about the keel and hull not being parallel. So, with the tip of the keel is inside the cavity, and the keel parallel to the hull, then I have a little more room than I originally thought. I will adjust my bunks to leave 16" from the bottom of the hull to the trailer cross-member.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
I have a wing keel so I can't speed from experience but it appears from pictures that about half the width of the swing keel is still outside the hull when retracted. It acts like a skedge when motoring with the keel up. Do an archive search here and there is a ton on the subject. Or check the tech manual as it has drawings as well.

Aug 22, 2017
Catalina 22 Rapel Lake
From my experience, the keel has the same lower point from the front to the back, and 2" to 3" are inside the channel leaving 14" or 15" outside.

Dec 22, 2016
Thanks ChileanJK for verifying that the keel clearance is the same - front to back. And your measurements look close to what I am seeing on my hull keel channel. I would estimate mine at about 2" deep at the cable end. If I set the bunks with 16" of keel clearance, I should be good -- assuming I can still get it in my garage. I may have to modify two high areas on the top of the boat to create more clearance (pop top and bow railing). The last place to gain some space is the tires and/or wheels. But my trailer clearance from the ground to the axle and cross members is about 6" so I don't want to drop it much lower unless I do something temporary like deflate the tires.

Aug 22, 2017
Catalina 22 Rapel Lake
You need to clear the head of the keel, thats like 10" so with 16" I think you are good. This is a diagram with the measures:
c-22-swing-keel-dim-pre-1985.jpg