Galley cupboard corner repair

May 6, 2019
Catalina 310 0063 Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa
Any suggestions on how to shore up a soft galley cupboard corner. It appears to have been over used at the hinge point and the fiberglass is soft. The previous owner attempted to fix it without success. See pictures below. Thanks!

Attachments

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I'd remove the trim and door and then properly repairing the fiberglass damage first. Then maybe add a backing plat on the inside to spread the load better. Those PO screws are just wrong and half donkey repair that now ruins the clean wood trim. If you fix the fiberglass right from inside with a backing plate you can fill those screw holes and then sand and refinish the trim like new.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
JRT is absolutely right - this should be taken apart and repaired from the inside out. If you are not comfortable doing this yourself, it probably is under an hour work for a pro or more experienced friend, and it will look good. You want to use a Dremel tool to remove the old sealant and damaged epoxy in the area. Alternatively, since the wood trim will cover your repair, you can build it up with a little glass or filled epoxy, and fair it off to the correct profile. Buy good quality epoxy, like West Systems, and mask your work area so it does not get everywhere.

May 6, 2019
Catalina 310 0063 Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa
Thanks for the quick and detailed replies. Couldn't agree more that the original repair was a mess... I'll let you know how it works. my wife has taken it on with guidance from our club local fibreglass and interiors guy.