Fuel Tank Leak?? in 1997 H376

Jul 26, 2017
Hunter H376 Kent Is., MD
PLZ, My fuel gauge is not accurate. It read about 1/2 full. I attempted to add 10 more gals..But,some fuel dripped out of fuel tank vent at @ 6-7gals.?? Later, I discovered fuel in the bilge, and a trail from tank under bunks to bilge? After clean-up, there was more seepage for awhile. I'm leery of filling tank to "FULL" again for trips. Suggestions?? ManyThanx,

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It happens.
So you know your tank size? It is often on a plaque which certifies the tank manufacture date and size.

Knowing the size you can count the hours of running the motor. You can then record this info in your boat log.
Then using a little basic math (hours running the engine X 0.5 gallons per hour = approximately the number of gallons consumed). Maintaining such a log is good seamanship. Fuel gauges are often wrong. If your off a little bit you can adjust the math... Maybe your consumption rate is 0.4 or 0.6 gallons per hour. As you maintain the log you'll get much better at knowing how much fuel to add and when you need to stop for fuel.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 376 Annapolis MD
The H376 fuel tank spec says it holds 35 gallons. But it sounds like you have a leak somewhere inside the boat. The only places fuel can come out when filling the H376 is from the air vent or from the fill hole; both are on the outside of the boat below the gunnel. I would start by checking all the air vent hose connections and fill hose connections. Also, the gauge is non linear because the tank is not a cube. You can roughly calibrate it by filling the tank when the gauge shows 1/4 tank, 1/2 tank and 3/4 tank. See what the dock pump says you put in at each increment.

allan

Jul 26, 2017
Hunter H376 Kent Is., MD
John & Allan, Thanx for your advice. In the past I used @ 3/4 gal;/hour motoring at @ 2800 rpms. Since leak, I put absorbent wraps around all hose connections and fuel gauge plate on top of tank. Have seen no seepage. If I overfilled tank and motored, and if this built up pressure in tank, would not the fuel exit via the air vent as opposed to leaking inboard?Or could the rate of volumetric expansion(??)of fuel exceed the vent's drainage capacity ?? If so, does that mean there's a leak in the tank? Unfortunately, tank is built-in and all surfaces, except top, are not accessible to inspection. I just thought I might remove fuel sender, fill tank, replace sender and see what gauge reads. Thoughts?? Anyone. And Many Thanx. This problem has precluded my taking any extended trips,....kinda sucks!! Many Thanx, MRF

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Check the vent hose and the injector return hose as well as fittings.. I had a pretty good leak from an old cracked injector return line..

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
This problem has precluded my taking any extended trips,....kinda sucks!!
IT does suck... But remember you are a sail boat. The engine is an "Auxiliary" power source. You may take longer to get where you are going but you'll have a relaxing time getting there.

Look for the simplest problem first. Vent tubes and filler tubes.
Yes you can remove the sender. You can replace the sender.
You can also test the sender. Set it up like it was in the tank. Drop it down = empty. Read the resistance on a volt meter. Raise it up as if full. Read the ohm value on volt meter.