Fuel filters for 356 and slight drip

Dec 22, 2012
Hunter 27-3 103 Gables By The Sea
My pre-owned 356 came with a Racor R20P mounted on the bulkhead forward of the fuel tank and the engine mounted Yanmar element filter. The R20P is 30 microns and the Yanmar is supposedly 10-15 microns. Consensus seems to say this is correct. Any opinions?

1. Does anyone know what the 356 came with from the factory?
2. What is best place to get the crush washers for the banjos?

The bottom of the strainer cup is wet from diesel any ideas where it most likely comes from? The banjo fittings and hose clamps seem tight. My guess is the O ring for the strainer cup.

1. Has anyone changed the factory filter to a spin on like Kubota? Seems this would be a lot easier to change.

Attachments

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
30 microns for the water separator is correct. This will take care of any crud or large particles without plugging while letting the Yanmar secondary filter take care of the small stuff.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
There's no point in putting a 30 in there and letting the small stuff pass to the second filter to catch everything. At least on the Racor you can see the fuel in the bowl. Better to have a ten in there. I'm sure that is the OEM recommendation.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I had a leak and just replaced with new filter and all new
and no more leaks.
I did add a racor500 and love it so easy to replace filter and cheaper
filters too .
Nick

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
The leak might come front the pump that is there at the top. You can try installing a rebuild kit, but there is no guarantee that it would fix the leak.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
I have a 4JH4E and the boat came from the factory with the R20P installed. If it is leaking around the bottom it may be that the bottom is not screwed on tight enough, or it may be that the gasket is defective or not installed properly.

Dec 22, 2012
Hunter 27-3 103 Gables By The Sea
Thanks for all the answers. Yesterday the primary R20P and secondary Yanmar filter were changed. What we found seems to bear out Yanmar's recommendation. The R20P had some water and dirt in the bottom of the bowl; however, the Yanmar on engine secondary was spotless and the fuel in the bowl was clean. That would seem to indicate that the 30 micron R20P is doing a good job. As far as I know both the filters were changed at the same time over a year and 40 or 50 hours ago. Everyone mentions the micron rating of the filters but there seems to be little information on the size of water and dirt molecules as well as the effects of the fuel pressure in this particular engine: 3GM30F. Generally speaking factories put out good information and it is best to listen. Until there is better information this is how the boat will stay. The slight drip was on the Yanmar on engine filter and it seems the O ring was not the correct one being a bit undersized.

This R20P has the aluminum bottom bowl which is fine. Has anyone replaced the tapered brass plug with a petcock to ease draining water. Any chance this petcock might allow air to leak in or is it secure?

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
the plastic bowl has the petcock and it's fine. Since the 356 filter is not in the engine space you can change to the plastic bowl - makes it much easier to check for water/dirt.