FTZ correct crimp and Ancor heavy duty lugs?

Discussion in 'Musings With Maine Sail' started by kristof, Mar 17, 2019. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. kristof

kristof

Joined Mar 17, 2019
    2 posts, 2 likes
    Nor'sea Nor'sea 27
    US Indian Harbour
    Hi everybody. Quick question: Do I need any adjustment to crimp #6 Ancor heavy duty lugs with FTZ correct crimp? Any advice is appreciated before I destroy whole bunch of them :)
    I got FTZ heavy duty lugs for my #1 battery cable but could not find them in much smaller size. Thanks, Kristof

2. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    8,985 posts, 3,902 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA

Ward H likes this.
  3. kristof

kristof

Joined Mar 17, 2019
    2 posts, 2 likes
    Nor'sea Nor'sea 27
    US Indian Harbour
    I tried my first crimp with FTZ lugs. It worked great but I had to calibrate the crimper and then adjust couple of times to get near "Maine Sail" quality. I needed to tighten it up beyond 15 inches between handles. Thanks again for all the shared knowledge!

Ward H and jssailem like this.
  4. Ward H

Ward H

Joined Nov 7, 2011
    2,269 posts, 497 likes
    Catalina 30 Mk II
    US Barnegat, NJ
    @kristof
    Welcome to the forum.

I buy all of my FTZ crimps from Bay Marine Supply. www.baymarinesupply.com They have #6 and larger.
    You can order them direct from BMS or order on Amazon. I normally buy direct from their website.

As you found you need to make adjustments when using non FTZ lugs. I thought the lugs were too expensive to play around with so I've settled on only FTZ brand with my FTZ crimper.

Stainless documentation placard
Who said a documentation placard cant be beautiful? Brushed stainless with laser-fused numerals.
Gray Enterprises port gasket
Stop winter leaks. Compare our price!
NEW, updated Get Rid of Boat Odors
The bible of marine toilets and plumbing, expanded and updated for 2016!
NEW rigid hatch covers
Hatch protection like never before. Tough, secure, installs in seconds.