Frostbite!

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Must've made a bad clothing choice? ;)

"2016 Last Boat In Honors: Endurance"... Fitting.
Yea, the smart choice would have been a drysuit! As for Endurance, its a bit of sore spot for some owners. The boat in question is not a WYC registered boat, its a Oday DS2 parked there in the fall in an empty slip. Unlike bigger boats that have to worry about the freeze, he lets it set there until about Dec 1, then pulls it across the ice. Not exactly fair. I don't play that game, but do try and get to Maynards more than anyone else!

Apr 21, 2014
Hunter 356 Middle River, MD
It was in the 50’s and saw 30 knots apparent on Galveston Bay yesterday when we raced in the “Peanut Regatta”. That was about 20 degrees below normal, though.

Bill, If I pressed our H 356 anywhere that hard the Admiral would be having fits. Looks fun and fast though. We came back yesterday from Chestertown on the Chesapeake in remnants of that TS passing offshore, raining and good beam ream up the bay.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
...The boat in question is not a WYC registered boat, its a Oday DS2 parked there in the fall in an empty slip. Unlike bigger boats that have to worry about the freeze, he lets it set there until about Dec 1, then pulls it across the ice. Not exactly fair.
He needs to put runners on it and sail across.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
It was in the 50’s and saw 30 knots apparent on Galveston Bay yesterday when we raced in the “Peanut Regatta”. That was about 20 degrees below normal, though.

Bill, If I pressed our H 356 anywhere that hard the Admiral would be having fits. Looks fun and fast though. We came back yesterday from Chestertown on the Chesapeake in remnants of that TS passing offshore, raining and good beam ream up the bay.
Jeff, the beam reach on the first leg was fun and fast and the port tack part of the windward second leg wasn't bad either. When we tacked, the outhaul end of the reef line slipped and the draft in the main ballooned out and the boat just laid on it's side and slid to leeward when I came about on the starboard tack. That's when the still was captured from a video. We couldn't see what happened to the main through the bimini. Not much keel or rudder in the water when you're heeled that far over.
Tropical storms can make for some memorable sailing.

Nov 8, 2010
He needs to put runners on it and sail across.
It caused a bit of controversy at the club. As a rule we don’t like to attract the attention of the Sheriffs Water Patrol. In the end we changed policies to lower the risk of doing the event in dinghys.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
I was in an Icicle race in Kemah TX last year and it started sleeting; I went to slack the jib halyard on my C25 on the downwind leg (my spinnaker tore the week before) and when I stepped on top of the cabin I slipped and busted my rear because the deck had iced over......

Nov 8, 2010
I was in an Icicle race in Kemah TX last year and it started sleeting; I went to slack the jib halyard on my C25 on the downwind leg (my spinnaker tore the week before) and when I stepped on top of the cabin I slipped and busted my rear because the deck had iced over......
Several boats didn't fly spins due to to icy decks. I ran to the club the day before and turning on our heater. The cabin warmth kept the deck ice-free.

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
Several boats didn't fly spins due to to icy decks. I ran to the club the day before and turning on our heater. The cabin warmth kept the deck ice-free.
A heater would be nice to have, but the only one I've got is one I can plug into my AC plug in the cabin and my battery can only support so much, as I have to run my 8HP OB as well. :/

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
I'm surprised to see that much heal under jib alone in only 17 knots. I'm also surprised to no see your tiller that straight.

Nov 8, 2010
I'm surprised to see that much heal under jib alone in only 17 knots. I'm also surprised to no see your tiller that straight.
I was reaching with true on the beam, apparent forward of that. So even with the sheets way outhauled the boat will heel. The jib on the boat is pretty big (9/10th fract on aft-set mast) so I was 100% powered up in that breeze.

Not sure what you are saying about the tiller, it was maybe 3-4 degrees to windward, which seems right. The GoPro might be making it look funny.