Franken Trailer

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Tons of the last minute details are coming together on "Maryann" as I have enshrined this weekend as the official splash date. Won't be much of an outing as I'm literally hoping to confirm reliability of major functions and the ever pressing need to float. It has very likely been 10 years since this '73 has seen any water.

With that in mind the trailer went off to the shop to get the receiver replaced, the keel roller welded at an appropriate height and get the tongue extension "unstuck"

Pics below but the existing tube is so not coming out . The shop is welding the existing in place to confirm it cannot move-- will swap out a new receiver and then has mocked up this build for a standalone extension.

I will call him Frankentrailer--

File_000 (12).jpeg

Last edited:

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
Hey... great news about splashing... wish I was a bit closer to launching! Frankentrailer... gotta love it and thanks for the inspiration. Have to build up my own trailer also as the one the boat came with was so badly corroded I just simply cut it up into small pieces and gave it to a street urchin to get scrap money for himself.

One question = I see single axle (observation I suppose), what is the rating of the axle in terms of weight carrying capacity?

Apr 22, 2016
Catalina 22 Folsom Lake
@pclarksurf - even our trailers look like twins! The repairs and upgrades sound like a good investment. Can't imagine something as that nice looking as your mock up on my ugly trailer. My bride is very keen on getting our trailer painted.
Looking forward to your progress posts!

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
So are you planning to galvinised the extension or paint it? I painted mine but in hindsight I think In hindsight I would have gone with a cold galvinising spray instead. Might provide longer protection. However paint is working since I am in freshwater and I just plan to touch it up each seasion. Looking good!

Jul 13, 2015
@Sacto Dave Frankentrailer is not exactly a looker either-- but sturdy at least. Also planning on pulling the trigger on a new axle/springs/hubs/wheels tires.... I need it to be reliable for medium haul freeway, I'm not quite pushing @CaptDon01 miles, but I do plan to commute multiple hours for overnights to some great local lakes (one of which is home to @$tingy Sailor) and really want to get over to Seattle for some San Juans cruising.

@LakeShark like you I'm all freshwater and trailer stored when not sailing so paint will suffice for the moment. Eventually I have sandblasting and painting on the list, but that is a bit farther down the wish list. I'll have to deal with being an ugly duckling at the boat ramp for a while :)

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Just a word to the wise at least grab a can of primer and hit that extension tube with a coat or two once you get it home again. It will save you hours of sanding later to get the fine rust off when you're ready to do the full paint.

Looking good though and I just did the whole axle, extension thing myself this year. Thus far I have towed hundreds of miles through MN and WI and I am so glad I spent the $$ to get it done right. Though I'm a bit jealous as I would love to get over and sail with Stingy and others. Oh well at least it sounds like a sailing trip to TX may be in the plans for next year!!!

RJD

Aug 31, 2013
Catalina 22 Chesapeake Bay, Deale, MD
Good luck on your trailer rebuild. It took me 6 weeks and $800 to bring my Frankentrailer back to life. Three years later, it's still alive..alive!.Bwahahahahahah.
Trailer 1.JPG Trailer 2.JPG Trailer 3.jpg Trailer 4.jpg Trailer 5.JPG

Jul 13, 2015
File_002 (11).jpeg
It's ALIVE! and still ugly , but I'm splashing tomorrow for the first ever float test/ rig test/ whatever test so mechanically sound makes me happy, but I'm jealous of your paint job @RJD ... next season :)