Forward Sanchion Base Through-Bolt Access

Apr 30, 2017
Hi everyone,

I'm considering rebedding the forward two stanchion bases (the ones attached to the pulpit rail), I'm curious what I need to do to access the bolts underneath? I don't seem to see them from inside.

I'm assuming they're bolted through the deck but maybe they're just screwed down?

Thanks,

Chris

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Catalina Capri 22 1139 Mamaroneck, NY
They should be bolted thru. I enlarged the access port to a bigger size to gain better access to the bow from the inside when i was doing some work in that area.

Attachments

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 http://www.chelseayacht.org
Chris;

Are we talking MK I or MK II?

On the Mk I you would take the forward bulkhead down to gain access.
While at it, check that the cleats are bolted down securely.

On my # 297 and # 427 I had some loose cleats.

Hershey

Apr 30, 2017
Hi guys,

Maybe I should have specified but I'm talking about the pulpit here, so the forward base is part of the forestay chainplate and there are two legs behind.

I spent much time looking for bolts under the deck for these two legs and am pretty much convinced there aren't any. For every other stanchion and piece of deck hardware the bolts are very obvious under the deck.

I removed one of the screwed and it appears it's just screwed into wood- similar to the mast deck step?

I'm guessing I should maybe epoxy and redrill these holes before remounting? Or perhaps just unscrew and rebed.

Sep 4, 2013
On my MK I (1985) the bolts through the rear pulpit legs are threaded into small rectangular metal plates sunk into the deck fiberglass. The starboard pulpit leg on my boat was slightly loose when I bought it and I found the plate had developed play within the deck. I cut away a small part of the deck, removed the plate, wrapped it in fiberglass cloth, secured it with poly resin, re-drilled through to the cabin and secured with nuts. If I recall correctly, the two inner bolts enter the cabin between the teak trim and liner, while the third enters between the liner and the hull. I had to trim away the liner to get to outer bolt, but the teak trim hides the cut. It's a good idea to make sure the base and screws are well sealed though you might want to avoid drilling unless it is necessary.

Larger photo here, I can't seem to link a large photo - http://headstrongbrewing.com/images/c22 ... pulpit.jpg

Steve

Apr 30, 2017
Thanks for the help everyone!

I ended up drilling holes through to the cabin and securing with nuts. I felt like this was the way to go since I don't want this pulling out again.

Jul 9, 2013
On my MK I, you remove the inner liner and to reach the back two (closest to hull) that are covered by the liner. The inside two (away from hull) are on the cabin inside side of the liner.

FYI,
Jerry