Follow us on our trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
That's a serious frame that you built to hold the mast. Should serve you well to the Hudson. Maybe it will still be there waiting for you when you come home.

I am still curious about all the cans on the side deck.

Dec 30, 2006
- - Blairstown NJ
I was viewing your web site and saw the pictures of the deck repair...WOW what a project and it looks like a beautiful job! I for one would like to see more on the deck project and how it was done. What were the concerns? What problems did you encounter? Looking at the pictures, I would say someone really knows how to do glass work!
Don

Sep 10, 2009
Hunter cutter 37 1981 St-lambert
Did some uptade on the blog. We had a rough first day, we blew a bearing on the raw water pump... But we recovered nicely on the second day.

Ed, Cans... We have 4 diesel cans, this is possibly overkill, we just had them under our hand so we took them anyway. We have 2 gas can, one for the generator and one for the outboard, and two fresh water jugs (the blue ones).

We are glad we framed the mast with 2x6s, the first night at our emergency anchorage was really rough and it didn't move a bit.

Sailbode, I won't get into details about the deck recore project now, it would be very time consuming and the internet connection is unsteady at our present anchorage near Chambly Canal Locks (beautifull spot btw). But we did put at least 2000 hours on the job but that was well worth it. You can look on the forum there is a post somewhere... If I find the time, I'll try to post a in detail article.

Jun 2, 2004
Really enjoying your blog, both the text and pictures. I do recognize that pump. I was able to copy your coordinates and plug directly into Google Earth. Took me right down to that island. Now I need to understand where you are going exactly. Looks like the Richelieu River(or is it a canal) takes you all the way down. And here I thought you were taking the St. Lawrence to Lake Ontario.

Sep 10, 2009
Thanks Ed, I'm putting a lot of time on this, but so far, from the comments I've received it's welll worth it. Today we went through the Richelieu Canal, tonight we are about 10 nm from the US border at Rouses Point (on the Canadian side)... Tomorrow we should be sleeping in Burlinghton VT. After it's on to the Champlain canal, then Hudson river and we will get out beside the Big Apple. Then it's to the Cheesapeake bay, since we gotta be at Annapolis boat show that is taking place from October 7-11th. I strongly suggest Activecaptain if you want to follow us on the US side, a lot better than Google Map, at least you have access to marine charts...

Sep 10, 2009
We are at Schulyerville NY for the, tomorrow we stop at Castleton for the night, thuesday we put the mast back up at Catskill, to end the day in Kingston. Wednesday, we should stop at Westpoint, thursday in New-York (79th street Marina). We will only stop for one night in NY $$$$, and we need to keep on going down if we want to be in Anapolis by October 7th.

Jun 2, 2004
Hi Phil, hi Robert, see that you are making excellent progress. And now your itinerary looks like ours, Catskill for the mast and on to Kingston. You could stay at the Rondout Yacht Basin( 845-331-7061 ). The owners have an H37C that they maintain there. I wish I could remember their names, they have been here on SBO. We spent three days there because I used to live just down river in Hyde Park. And worked at IBM in Kingston.

We also stayed a night at Tarrytown Boat Club( http://www.tarrytownboatclub.com/ ). I think it is a pretty long haul from West Point to the city. But maybe it was because we wanted to dine with my wife's nephew who lives near Tarrytown.

In New York you could save big bucks by anchoring behind the Statue of Liberty. But maybe you want to go into the city in which case 79th street is good. Our next port of call was Manasquan Inlet, NJ.

Sep 2, 2009
Hunter Vision-32 New Hamburg, NY
Stop at West Point???

We are at Schulyerville NY for the, tomorrow we stop at Castleton for the night, thuesday we put the mast back up at Catskill, to end the day in Kingston. Wednesday, we should stop at Westpoint, thursday in New-York (79th street Marina). We will only stop for one night in NY $$$$, and we need to keep on going down if we want to be in Anapolis by October 7th.
You may want to check further into the idea a stopping at West Point. I believe that due to security regulations, they only allow their own Yacht club members ...

http://www.hudsonriverbyca.com/roster.htm

Sep 10, 2009
Thanks for the tip at Westpoint, we are anchored in front of Caselton, we should remast there tomorrow morning, it's 50$ instead of 3$ a foot at Catskill (160$). We just have to make sure no boats are coming before we start lowering the mast...

Major update on the blog tonight !!!

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
The blog is great! Don't forget to check out the YouTube videos, which are also found here: http://www.youtube.com/user/LeMathurin2 The suggestion about following their path on ActiveCaptain was really good - much better to see the NOAA charts than the google map.

Thanks guys!

Jun 2, 2004
This is a great thread but I wonder how long we want it to get? In other words should we be commenting on the Mathurin site and leaving this just for their updates? I have had trouble trying to comment there.

I am really looking forward to their experience at Castleton and the DIY mast stepping. The owner runs the crane and the crew is responsible for the rest. We watched four on or around the boat try to do a deck step install with a much lighter mast. The crane can only swing fore to aft so they had to move the boat under the mast. The boat is right on the river with waves and wakes. In thirty minutes of watching they never got it on the step. And Phil and Dad have to get theirs down on a keel step. Not sure if they have the table hole to deal with. Hope not.

We also bypassed West Point after talking with the yacht club there. But I did get a picture even though I lived across the river from there for eight years. My crewmate was so good at the wheel that I married her just 14 months later.

Attachments

Sep 10, 2009
Hey, we finally stepped the mast today as Carleston. It went #1 ! This morning there was little to none traffic and absolutely no wind. We started the operation at 7h30 by 10 am it was done. I think it's a lot easier for us with keel stepped mast than it's for deck stepped masts. The owner allowed us to stay all day at the dock which helped us a lot in putting everything back togheter. BTW moorings are only 5$ if you can get one, or they will let you anchor just a little South of the mooring. In the end, we are glad we only spent 50$ on restepping the mast (which also got both of us a hot shower, electricity all day and pump out). My only recommandation, restep your boat early when there is no traffic, and make sure it's not windy.

Sep 10, 2009
For comments on the blog, you got to choose Anonyme or Anonymous I don't remember which one... as the user, and after you confirm your comment, you got to enter a captcha...

Sep 2, 2009
Invite to New Hamburg Yacht Club

For comments on the blog, you got to choose Anonyme or Anonymous I don't remember which one... as the user, and after you confirm your comment, you got to enter a captcha...
Mathurin II .. I posted on your blog .. if you are in the vicinity of New Hamburg (
41.589056,-73.950514) and would like a free transient dock 22 Sept 2010 (or after) .. give me a call! My number is on your blog somewhere!!!

Ron

Sep 10, 2009
Thankyou so much Ron, this is very appreciated ! Hope you get to come over for a little beer or rum later tonight ;) !

Sep 2, 2009
It was a pleasure having you at the Club!

Thankyou so much Ron, this is very appreciated ! Hope you get to come over for a little beer or rum later tonight ;) !
remind me to decline the rum next time! that stuff is Good, but Dangerous!

I hope you made if out OK this morning ....

Ron

Jun 2, 2004
So Mathurin2, you are in for the night. You must be very shipshape to have time to be helping with Bill's mast problem. I seldom stayed up past 22:00 and my crew was zonked an hour before. Maybe it was the wine. Where are you this evening?

Sep 10, 2009
Made a little update on the blog :). We are at 79th Street Boat Bassin in New-York, the place is full !!! It' s gonna be at least 3 days before a mooring frees itself, so we are anchored north of the mooring field in 35 foot of water when the tides is in. It takes about 15 minutes to get from the boat to the marina. We have strong guts of winds, plus a heavy 3 knots of current, lots of ships going by, and a major highway 300 feet away, this should be a quiet night ;). BTW they still charge you 25$ to use the dock for your dinghy if you are anchored, istead of the 30$ they charge you if you are moored...

We left our achorage just north of Nayak at around 6:30 am, and got to NY city at around 11:15 am. We got the visit of the US coast Guard on our way, they were very friendly. We walked around NY city from noon to 9 pm today, that was great !

I should propably be going to bed now, I really need to be carefull not to go back to the old school habit of going to bed after 2-3 am every nights.

Sep 10, 2009
Big update today, finally got an internet connection, make sure you visit september archive section.

Status
Not open for further replies.