Follow us on our trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 10, 2009
Hunter cutter 37 1981 St-lambert
If you are interested in following us on our trip (we are taking our Hunter cutter 37 from Montreal to the Bahamas, and back), you can check out our blog :).

http://www.mathurin2.blogspot.com/

Sorry for the longgggggggggggg delay, we are presently in Treasure Cay, Bahamas. To make a long story short, a bad cold and a trip back home put me late on my blog, and since it's so beatiful here, I keep postponing... I will try to improve my blog in the next week :).

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Great! We'll be watching.

Just checked the website. Super beginning, really enjoyed the before and after pictures.

May 31, 2007
Hunter 37 cutter Blind River
Fabulous work on the boat! I believe you have just about the perfect boat for two for this adventure. Fair winds!

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
I'm very pleased you are publishing the blog bilingually. It gives me a great opportunity to practice my nautical French. Bon chance!

Sep 10, 2009
Thanks for all your best wishes ! Please note that I am not and will not be using any translator such as google translator. I set myself the goal to work on improving my written english during this trip (written french also)...

Jul 7, 2009
Beneteau First 405 Myrtle Beach, S.C.
Mathurin:
I assume you will be using the ICW and pass by Myrtle Beach, S.C. You may be ready for a break. After all 8 to 10 hours of motoring every day gives you a headake. There is no peace and quiet like the one you experience after motoring all day and stopping the engine. What a relief!

Should you want to stop over, we would be glad to host you. It would give you time to use some of our facilities.(King size bed, washing machine, car, ect). We also have over 125 golf courses, 1200 restaurants and several Factory Outlet Malls for your wife.
Just PM me if you need more info.

Jose

Jun 2, 2004
Who does the blogging, Philippe or Dad(Robert)? I love that shot from the top of the mast, looks to be 100 feet to the boat. Boy do I envy you two.

I thought that I would try the comment section but could not find a profile that would work for me. Will you be reporting here or at least watching for our questions?

If I ever go south again(after trucking the boat back to Lake Erie) I would like to go the long way, out the St. Lawrence. Can we assume that is how your adventure begins?

Sep 10, 2009
It's Philippe, the son that keeps the blog up to date (me :) )... I'll look at the comment section too see if there is a problem, but normally you should be able to leave a comment even if you don't have an account. I'll try to post a short message in this thread every time I add something to the blog to keep you guys up to date.

As for the beghinning of our adventure, we won't go the long route (down the St-Lawrence), it's getting a bit late in the season to go that way and we are not well equipped to fight the cold. We will go down the St-Lawrence to Sorel, take the Richelieu canal to Lake Champlain, from there take the Champlain canal (Hudson river) to New York. Up to now, that's the planning, from there we will see. We can't go lower that the 35th parallel before November 15th (insurance limitation), and we have to pick up our life raft at Anapolis boat show, the we will probably spend some time in the Chesapeke Bay.

We want to be in Miami early December to be able to move towards the Bahamas as soon as the weather decent enough, the port of entry will probably be Cat Key. From there it's down to the southern islands... Much of the planning for that part of the trip will be done during the first leg of the trip, as we are a little tight on time right now.

Phil

Dec 30, 2006
- - Blairstown NJ
Fantastic Phil!! You people are living "the Dream" . I will be watching your progress as well.
Hope your trip is a wonderful "life experience".
Don Bodemann

Dec 9, 2008
1980 Hunter 30 "Denali" Seaford, VA
We live on York Point, on the Chesapeake Bay, it's at the mouth of the Poquoson River. It's a popular anchorage for those making their way up and down. You are welcome to stop here, we'd be happy to take you to a grocery store, fill your water supply, or just have dinner and drinks on land... When our powerboat is in the water we often stop by the boats anchored out and make the offer (especially the grocery store, but nobody has taken us up on that yet). However, my wife is German and there is a German couple cruising around the world that she talks to a lot and they should be visiting us (next year?).

Anyway, have a safe journey, please feel free to contact me (PM) if you would like to take us up on the offer.

Cheers,
Jon

Jun 10, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Shelburne
Robert & Phil, congrats on starting your adventure. Raise a glass to the east when you go by Shelburne Bay south of Burlington, VT if you haven't already passed by me. Are you starting out sailing or are you leaving the mast on horses until you get to the Hudson? Shelburne Shipyard certainly has the facilities to unstep your mast, last time I needed it a few years back you can rent the crane in 15 minute increments, but maybe you want to get in more Lake Champlain sailing and unstep it closer to entering the canal. I envy you guys!

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2009
We are leaving on sunday, unfortunately we have to unstep the mast before we get to lake Champlain, the bridges on Richelieu canal are to low. We will only restep it just prior getting to New York. Hoping the winds can die down soon. We had planned to remove the sails today and unstep the mast tomorrow, but that will have to wait till friday...

Thankyou Guidera48 and Cpt. Jon for your offers, we will consider them as soon as we get two minutes to breath :)

Jun 2, 2004
I would guess that most sailors step their mast at Riverview Marina on Catskill Creek: http://www.riverviewmarineservices.com/aboutus.asp . There is a DIY place on the east side of the Hudson a little farther north. We watched a crew trying it on a deck-stepped 27-footer. The site is exposed to wind and wakes and they were having a terrible time. We opted for Riverview with our heavy keel-stepped mast. John knows his business there. I have fond memories of that place. It is where I swapped crew, big ol' burly Mike for my wife Maura. :)

P.S. you want the mast early on the Hudson. It is a very large river and you might sail a good length of it.

Sep 10, 2009
The plan was Catskill, as their fees are very low, but I've heard about the wakes and wind problem... We'll decide when we get there.

Jun 2, 2004
A really good overnight, and free, can be had at Waterford. Just turn right into the Erie Canal, right in front of lock 1. We spent three days there and rented a car. That's how we were able to check on the Catskill DIY. Easy walk across the bridge to the grocery.

Story about that grocery. They walk you out with your cart as you are allowed to take the cart to the boat. But there is a wire under the ground at the end of the parking lot. If someone does not accompany you the brakes lock on the cart. A push of the button on the "garage door opener" lets you pass. End of the day the store comes to the boats to retrieve the carts.

Jun 2, 2004
It is always about the weather. Safety first though. Why so many cans on deck? Are they all diesel? We had one as backup. From Lake Erie to Tampa I don't think we ever used it.

Status
Not open for further replies.