Registered users don't see ads

Folding Prop

Discussion in 'Catalina 310' started by Cat 310 #1 in GA, Jun 7, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Cat 310 #1 in GA

Cat 310 #1 in GA

Joined Jan 17, 2013
    245 posts, 29 likes
    Catalina 310
    US St. Simons
    I have read most or all of the information in the forum archives about folding props and I wanted to post what I am considering to see if it makes sense. My Catalina 310 has a slightly undersized engine - it is a Yanmar 2GM20F which is 16-18 HP depending who you ask. Add to that the fact that I sail where there is strong tidal current due to 6-8 foot tides (S. GA/N. FL). My boat has a fixed 3 blade prop that is either 14 or 15 inches. The survey says 14" and I have never measured it so let's go with 14". When fighting the current I can barely go above 3.5-4.0 knots and if there is wind with it then 3.5 max. I am considering going to a flex o fold prop and they have recommended a 15x11-3R prop for my boat & engine. Am hoping it will increase boat speed under power (I know it will under sail) so I can at least have a fighting chance against the currents. Since the flex o fold people are very unhelpful and this is a big investment, I wanted to ask any of you who have switched to a folding prop if it did indeed increase boat speed under power? Can I reasonably expect 1/2 knot increase?
    TIA,
    bob

2. LeslieTroyer

LeslieTroyer

Joined May 20, 2016
    1,677 posts, 569 likes
    Catalina 36 MK1
    US Everett, WA

3. Gunni

Gunni

Joined Mar 16, 2010
    5,178 posts, 1,009 likes
    Beneteau 411 Oceanis
    US Annapolis
    Not likely. Your fixed prop is optimized for your engine power band. You could play around with the pitch of a feathering prop but then you get into trouble with overloading your engine and causing it to run rich and carbon up.

4. KZW

KZW

Joined May 17, 2014
    550 posts, 36 likes
    Catalina 310 #307
    US Bluewater Bay, FL
    I find it interesting that they recommended the same propeller, 15x11R two-blade for my Universal 25 XPB ( max. rated 26 hp / 3.200 rpm, gear reduction ratio 1:2,05)

Stainless documentation placard
Who said a documentation placard cant be beautiful? Brushed stainless with laser-fused numerals.
Leaky Lewmar ports?
Start by replacing lens gaskets in stock now
Noflex Sewage Treatment
Treat sludge and odor problems in holding tanks.
Gray Enterprises port gasket
Stop winter leaks. Compare our price!