Folding or feathering prop?

Nov 4, 2018
Hunter 2004 33 Bedford basin
Hi there. New to this forum. We just purchased a 2004 Hunter 33 with a 29hp Yanmar and would like to replace the two blade fixed prop with a folding or feathering. Has anyone done this and what recommendations do you guys have. Thanks!

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
You are likely to find everyone voting for whatever prop they have. I have only had a feathering 3-blade AutoStream other than my OEM 2-blade fixed. I like my feathering. It has excellent reversing thrust for emergency stops because the blades swivel through the feather position and continue to the reverse orientation. But lots of members here like the folding props too.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
We have a Flex-o-fold on our 41 DS which I am very satisfied with. Here is a comparison study that may help you decide.
https://www.yachtingmonthly.com/gear/folding-and-feathering-propeller-test-29807
Edit
As an additional comment we back in to our slip as it is the only way we can disembark and I have no issue with prop walk, stopping power or reverse thrust I have nothing to compare with as the boat was purchased with the Flex-O-Fold already installed.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2013
Hunter 380 Port Clinton, Ohio
I went from fixed 3 blade to an Autoprop 3 blade on my Catalina 34. It was an improvement. I bought a Hunter 380 that had a Max Prop. Did not like the flat blades and the shaft was always turning when sailing. Replaced it with a 3 blade Flex-o-fold prop. Great in forward and reverse. Shaft is not spinning in neutral. Almost zero prop walk in reverse. I can back to starboard. Blade shape (progressive curve) is excellent and is an important consideration when selecting a prop.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
Hmmm. Ford or Chevy. In general the maxprop will be more expensive than the flexofold. The maxprop will give the greatest amount of reverse thrust and on some (all?) the pitch may be changed underwater. The flexofold gives the least drag (when folded) according to the Yachting Monthly study. The pitch on the flexofold props may be changed only by changing blades. Personal experience. I had a boat neighbor with the same boat and he had a factory installed fixed three blade, went to a three blade max prop but sold it after some internal corrosion problems forced two rebuilds and bought the three blade flexofold. Of the three he was most satisfied with the flexofold. For that reason and the yachting monthly study I installed a 3 blade fof. I suppose the fof is less susceptible to fouling than a maxprop (feathering) when folded but I wouldn't say a fof can't be fouled. I took a movie of my prop in action and it unfolded in less than 1 rpm, may 1/4 or 1/2 revolution. And it folded as soon as the power was removed. It will occasionally spin in neutral but I momentarily shift to reverse and back to neutral and the spinning stops. A reported fear is that when needed most the fof will not unfold due to sea growth. If that were really an issue I don't see how one left the pier or mooring. All I can say is that in the five years mine has been installed no issues whatsoever. I do have the propeller anode changed every four months so as not to sacrifice the prop! In the end I think most sailors are very happy with what ever prop is purchased. Just make sure to maintain them. I have two friends, one with a Hunter45 DS and one with a H36 (both 2009 models) that have just recently installed 3 blade fof and they are ecstatic with the results. I'm sure max prop folks would report similar positive results.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Our previous boat had a folding prop and it wouldn't back without excessive RPM. The prop looked like new, but I put on a fixed prop. Never tried a feathering or any other low drag prop.

Ken

Ken

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I have 2 buddies in my marina, each with ~2006 H33’s. One has a folding, the other a feathering both are 2 blade I think. Both like their choice. I don’t know which brands though...sorry.

Greg

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
Ken, sorry to hear about your experience. I back in everywhere I go and it steers like it is on rails. Was it a flexofold prop, 2 or 3 blade?

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Hi there. New to this forum. We just purchased a 2004 Hunter 33 with a 29hp Yanmar and would like to replace the two blade fixed prop with a folding or feathering. Has anyone done this and what recommendations do you guys have. Thanks!
Being new you may not have found the search function in the forum. It is excellent and you will find much useful information. I put props in the search bar and got this. https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?search/19540741/&q=Props&o=date&c[node]=36

There are many hundreds of posts on the prop debate. There are as many opinions on a recommendation as there are posters. As Rich points out mostly recommending the one they have.
I made the change to a feathering prop several years ago and have been extremely happy. I’m sure you will too

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
I like my 3-blade Kiwi Feathering Prop. Good forward and reverse and smooth. But on one trip I had it fouled 3 times. Nets, rope and plastic bags. Wish I had a 3-blade FoF.

Ken Y

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I have a Gori 2-blade folding. It works great. Sounds like you can't go wrong either way performance-wise. Look at maintenance and price. My Gori only requires white lithium grease when I haul out for the off season. It came with the boat.

meb135

Nov 17, 2012
Hunter 33 Shediac Bay
I have a 2004 H33 with the 29HP engine just like yours. I changed my fixed 3 blade prop with a 2 blade folding flex-o-fold.
The increase in sailing performance was well worth the money. Under power, I reach hull speed at 3200rpm and reverse is not a problem. It's obviously not as good as with the fixed 3 blade but I'm having no problems stopping the boat at my dock with the prevailing wind coming from my stern. Just have to give a good quick boost of power.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
It is my understanding that the two blade folding prop will give you the least amount of drag when sailing. I went with the Martec which is no longer available. My boat speed increased noticeably. On the down side my speed under power decreased by about the same amount. I do not mind that, however. I would rather be sailing faster. I have had no problems with reverse. Works fine.

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
Had good luck with the Kiwi prop as well. Performance was better than prior 2 blade. The prop is simple, and cheap. Forward pitch is adjustable and corrosion should be ok as mostly plastic.

Feb 27, 2004
Hunter 335 North East, MD
On my Hunter 33.5, I was going to go with a folding prop, but found it wouldn't fit- got the 2 blade feathering max prop and have been very happy with it