Foggy Notions in Southern California

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I was more than a little surprised on Saturday to hear NWS forecasting severe fog conditions along the entire coast of Southern California between the Mexican Border and the coasts of Ventura and Santa Barbara counties. We were breaking in the weekend change to PDT at Santa Cruz Island (Little Scorpion) in the (supposedly) best weekend weather to be had here in weeks, when this greeted us early Sunday morning, a mere few hundred meters away. (Now, why would anybody be up this early on a Sunday?)
Lit'l' Scorpion Fog Bank.jpg

The stuff did not come into the anchorage; and as the sun rose it began to retract some toward the SE. We returned to Ventura in about a quarter-mile visibility; sometimes up to half a mile. The stuff was still around all day today in Long Beach!!
Throughout that (yesterday) morning, oddly, I was reading Jonathan Raban (Passage to Juneau) as he described the drippy-wet fog conditions in the Gulf Islands of B.C. during his voyage of that Spring. Just happened to be at that place in the book!! I love reading sea tales at sea!:biggrin:

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Yeah, just about every day now we are getting early morning fog. June Gloom has arrived early this year. Maybe I will watch the movie, The Fog.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
I sailed over to the Isthmus last Friday and I'll be here until this Saturday. Had an excellent sail for about half of the way over with good visibility for the entire trip. I could see the Island from the mainland, once I rounded L.A. Light. I anchored in the Isthmus for the first night and had good visibility most of the night, with some not very dense fog in the wee hours of the morning. I moved over to Fourth of July on Saturday morning and since Saturday evening it's been pretty consistently foggy virtually non stop. Right now (Tuesdsday 9:30 am, as I type this), I'm on B-4 (two rows off from the beach) and I can barely see past the mouth of the cove. Yesterday was pretty thick for almost the entire day on the north side of the Island, and for the entire day back at Cat Harbor. Depending on when you are reading this reply, you'll see what I mean if you look at the Two Harbors web cam: https://app.truelook.com/?u=st1465317699#tl_live

That said, the conditions are very nice over here. It's not excessively cold and occasionally the sun is peaking out. Based on the forecast, it looks like the foggy conditions will be diminishing. I'm not leaving until Saturday, so I'll be happy for clear skies by then! Hopefully I'll get a good westerly for the sleight ride back to Pedro!

Edit: Noon update. The fog has mostly lifted here and Isthmus cove has good visibility! I just hiked over to Cat and it still has some lingering fog but it, too, is much better.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Cool pic! I remember riding my Kaw thru the orange groves just outside our base in Santa Ana. Used to get so thick you had to slow down or ride off the road. El Toro is gone now and so are the groves I think <sigh>

Feb 17, 2006
@Alan Gomes, rain in the forecast for this weekend. You know that when they predict rain it always moves to the day prior prediction. Love weather forecasters. LOL

Enjoy. One day I will get out to the Islands and drop a hook. I just don't know where one can do that.

Nov 22, 2011
@Alan Gomes, rain in the forecast for this weekend. You know that when they predict rain it always moves to the day prior prediction. Love weather forecasters. LOL

Enjoy. One day I will get out to the Islands and drop a hook. I just don't know where one can do that.
Didn't see any rain forecast for this week but I'll keep an eye on the forecast. Thanks.

Feb 17, 2006
Yeah, my bad, Alan. It is Wed/Thur next week. I thought it was this weekend. Silly me. Reminds me of that movie, LA Story.

Nov 22, 2011
No problem!

The fog has burned off and it is completely sunny now! Beautiful over here.

Feb 17, 2006
An empty mooring field. I should jump on that and head on out. Should take me two weeks to row there. LOL

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
This is better if you like comparative solitude and the absence of portable Honda generators!! Saturday, mid-day, Santa Cruz Island; Little Scorpion; view from the cockpit looking WNW. Also--no loud, stinky power boats, no barking dogs, and no boats moored (i.e., bow-stern anchored) inside my swinging radius.:yeah:

Little Scorpion March 11.jpg

Panning Right
Little Scorpion March 11PR.jpg

Panning Left (from top)
Little Scorpion March 11PL.jpg

Further Left (of immediately above)
Little Scorpion March 11PLL.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Love it!
I'm coming out to Cat Harbor next week. Anyone going to be there?