Flying the American flag

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I have my regular flag on a pole on the stern.
9DE43F88-D193-418A-9971-6CA02762864B.jpeg

But over the July 4th weekend, I flew a larger Stars and Stripes below my starboard spreader.

Greg

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Jackdaw: was not intended to upset you. Didn't ask for specific, that was the point ,was asking "general opinion". Chief
OMG Chief, All good! No worries, NOTHING that happens on SBO will never upset me!

My general option? Do whatever you want. Your service helped allow that.

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
In addition to the transom or backstay it is also appropriate to attach the national ensign to the leech of the after most sail.... so on your boat it would be the mainsail.

Last edited:

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
We fly the flag from the mizzen boom. It flies free there unlike from an aft staff that doesn't work as well. Aside from all that it symbolizes, the stars and stripes with it's beautiful form and colors is one of the best photo prop on the water. Red is an especially powerful color to get into the lens of a camera. It reveals wind and motion.
hove to 15kts.jpg

While 8 am is recommended etiquette to raise the flag, I fly it often at sunrise. Beautiful light that time of the day for photos and I've used the flag to diffuse the rising sun.
Sunrise Seal Bay (1 of 1).jpg

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Joe: that is a nice idea to attach her to the main sail! Topping lift good as well! Thanks, Chief

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
My flags and pennants do not foul as they are on sliders attached so they fly from the shroud line, plus, none are larger than 3'x2'. I appreciate this discussion as it achieved what I was seeking. Attaching flag to sail and using topping lift both are practical possible solutions for my boat. Finally getting some decent seas and wind out here so can get out after the salmon, bottom fish, and do some sailing. Thanks, Chief

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Flying the national ensign from the leech of the main on a sloop, or on the aft-most sail's leech on multi-mast boats or ships is derived from flying the colors from the gaff of the aft most mast, when most boats were gaff-rigged. The proper location on a non-gaff rigged sail, like the main on a common sloop, is 2/3rds the way up the leech. Same location on the backstay or topping lift if your sail is not set.

From a flag halyard, port or starboard, or a shroud, is poor protocol. The starboard flag halyard is where the flag of a foreign country you're visiting is flown, the courtesy flag.

Another flag one can fly at the stem is the Union Jack, or jack of the United States, an all blue field with white stars; on Sundays and holidays when moored or at anchor.

A good question is "what size flag?" I remember one inch on the fly per foot of boat length as a minimum.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
The "Ensign" and the American Flag are different. Does each have its own rules for display? Do the etiquette rules for the American Flag (Folding, disposal, lighting, hours of display etc.) apply to the Ensign?
@shemandr I think you are referring to the US Yacht Ensign (circle of 13 stars surrounding a fouled anchor in the field of blue) with the say "Ensign" but Chief asked about the National Ensign. Your American Flag became the National Ensign when brought aboard a boat, just like all those ropes you bought became lines when you brought them aboard. It is a nautical thing.

Attachments

Last edited:

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
We fly the flag from the mizzen boom. It flies free there unlike from an aft staff that doesn't work as well. Aside from all that it symbolizes, the stars and stripes with it's beautiful form and colors is one of the best photo prop on the water. Red is an especially powerful color to get into the lens of a camera. It reveals wind and motion.
View attachment 167080
While 8 am is recommended etiquette to raise the flag, I fly it often at sunrise. Beautiful light that time of the day for photos and I've used the flag to diffuse the rising sun.
View attachment 167081
Just one more reason to love reading your posts. Thank you!

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Rules are different shipboard. I remember the instructions we got as Marines coming aboard and going ashore. And also to play nice with the Squids. ;)
Semper Fi

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
I understand that the 'yacht ensign' may used when under way in US waters, and that the regular US Flag is required when boating into other counties.
We use our aluminum (approx) 8 foot tall radar mast to fly the US Flag when visiting Canadian waters in BC. That leaves the regular hoist on the starb. spreader available for the courtesy flag.
No one has noticed or commented yet, tho.
It's nice to try to do this properly, if for no other reason than to give a local LEO a choice to ignore us when they are out assessing the waters for a vessel in need of a 'safety boarding'.....

Around here the river patrol deputies have told us that they prefer to spend their time boarding boats with obvious unsafe persons or navigation tendencies, and do notice the general appearance of the vessels around them. It seems good to show respect for tradition, so we always have our annual VSC decal properly displayed, also.
Last time we spoke to a CN coast guard guy (driving a powerful RIB) was a friendly short chat while he was directing us to their new Customs dock and phone box, in Victoria inner harbor.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
just like all those ropes you bought became lines when you brought them aboard. It is a nautical thing.
Actually, a hunk of rope just lying about on a boat, e.g., sailboat, would not be a “line.” Rope, or cordage, is bulk material that you use to make up lines. Lines are lengths of rope that have a function w/ a moniker to identify. As in sheet, guy, preventer, tow, or dock, etc.

Last edited: