Fixing a dodger? Need advice.

Jun 2, 2014
Catalina 30 mkII - 1987 Alamitos Bay Marina, LB, CA
Does anybody know a "not-expensive" way to get a dodger re-sewn up? I've tried to previously do a few repairs, but all the thread has begun disintegrating exponentially to the point where it needs to totally come off and really get fixed. I don't even care about replacing the clear windows. I just want to keep it from falling apart and not have blown out zippers. I'm in SoCal, Long Beach area. Thanks!

And before you point me to SailRite, I just don't have the time to put into that kind of project any time soon. I have so many other projects and between travelling for work, I can't even get to my little projects. I can remove it and send it somewhere, but that's about all I can do.

Jun 2, 2014
Very funny... :eek:

I did make a couple of phone calls, and I'm meeting a guy at my boat tomorrow to have him look at it. He sounds promising so far as the willingness to do a repair job, but I have no info on cost yet.

Jun 2, 2014
Try local upholstery shops or awning shops.
I have used both to re-stitch mine over the years and fairly inexpensive compared to sail loft shop. Got about 8-10 years on re-stitch job.
That's a good idea. I'll see what this guy coming tomorrow says, and then I'll see what the upholstery/awning shops charge.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
I bet one of your retired dock mates with a machine would do it for half the price of a pro shop. Not having the overhead of a shop to pay for is a big savings. Or maybe one of the wives that sews for a hobby? Don't need a super heavy duty machine for this work.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I bet one of your retired dock mates with a machine would do it for half the price of a pro shop. Not having the overhead of a shop to pay for is a big savings. Or maybe one of the wives that sews for a hobby? Don't need a super heavy duty machine for this work.
Unfortunately, though it's often expensive, you pretty much get what you pay for in the marine canvas scene. A cheap job won't last, so you'll be right back at the same point in a short time.
We tried a cheap guy in RI to do our cockpit cushions and they were so badly done that when I refused to pay, he didn't say a word. Of course, by then it was time to sail south and with those crappy cushions, then wait a week while new ones were being made somewhere else.
Like most things, especially on a boat, it really is best to do it right the first time.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
Very funny... :eek:

I did make a couple of phone calls, and I'm meeting a guy at my boat tomorrow to have him look at it. He sounds promising so far as the willingness to do a repair job, but I have no info on cost yet.
I suggest that you take the dodger off the boat and take it a few places to get quotes. That will save you the cost of a couple of hours of labor. Otherwise, you're paying a tradesman for house call and travel time.

This is one of those things which you can do 'right' the first time or do 'economically' multiple times. See Tenara.
+1. Tenara type thread (gortex) that is UV proof is well worth the extra cost, IMO. If the tradesperson buys it in professional size spools, it adds far less in material costs than an hour's worth of labor cost. To a hobbyist who uses one pound of thread a year, tenara seems ridiculously expensive. It's a small premium to pay for infinitely longer service life.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I am not sure how much sewing you need done...but I have used a speedy stitcher small jobs on my boat. It is slow, and tedious work, but if you just need some small areas sewn, it may be worth it. Can’t beat the price (stitcher is about $20 on Amazon). Thread is heavy waxed string. Easy to push needle through even multiple layers of canvas.

https://www.amazon.com/Speedy-Stitc...id=1521315379&sr=8-5&keywords=speedy+stitcher

Greg

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Just had a new one installed this week. Reskinned existing frame, 5 panels with vinyl glass, and connector between Bimini & dodger....2 boat bucks. Very satisfied with results.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Why would you not use Tenara? Even the large spool from Sailrite is not all that much, and if it lasts, then you don't have to do it again anytime soon. Do it right the first time, then there's time to do something else.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
A canvas maker with 20 years experience told me that he doesn’t use Tanara on Bimini tops because it causes leaks thru the needle holes. Evidently poly either swells to seal the holes or the uv coating on the thread seals it. See no reason for him to exaggerate because he used tanara on my sail covers. Told me he would use tenara on the Bimini that was made 2 years ago if I insisted but it would leak & advised using poly. Also there may be a problem using it on dark colors such as captains navy....it's too visible.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Unfortunately, though it's often expensive, you pretty much get what you pay for in the marine canvas scene. A cheap job won't last, so you'll be right back at the same point in a short time.
We tried a cheap guy in RI to do our cockpit cushions and they were so badly done that when I refused to pay, he didn't say a word. Of course, by then it was time to sail south and with those crappy cushions, then wait a week while new ones were being made somewhere else.
Like most things, especially on a boat, it really is best to do it right the first time.
Please refer to the first sentence in the OP.

Apr 1, 2012
Pearson 424 Charleston, SC
A few thoughts about the ptfe(Tenera, solerfix) threads; while it's uv properties are very good there are some drawbacks to it that people seem to forget or not realize. One being strength, I haven't looked at the sailrite site regarding their thread but I would suspect they are selling 92v thread, that's the max diameter that you can reliably run through their machines, 92v is not as strong as the 138 commonly used thread in canvas shops. Second is that because ptfe is not a woven thread and does not expand to fill needle holes, causing leaks for one thing, when the thread breaks it will pull out of the fabric more easily causing larger seam separation than what you would get with a bonded polyester thread. I have seen storm damaged canvas with much larger tears due to ptfe thread pulling out of seams.
I built a new dodger for my sailboat last year, I had the option of using 92 ptfe or 138 bonded polyester with sunblock. I chose the 138 and will gladly restitch in 5 years, in 10 years I'll replace the dodger.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Please refer to the first sentence in the OP.
What's your point? Mine was that cheap isn't necessarily a good deal! Most often in this world, one gets what one pays for!

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
Strength of the thread is not a limiting factor when choosing thread for sewing a dodger. Tenara thread is more than adequately strong for a Bimini or dodger. Tenara is successfully used for higher load applications like cataman trampolines.

The reason for using large diameter polyester thread like V138on a dodger is to increase UV resistance, not strength. Bigger diameter thread lasts longer in UV.

And consider this: It is true that UV coated polyester thread is initially stronger (higher breaking strength) than Tenara of the same diameter. However, after a couple of years of UV exposure, the poly has degraded to the point that it is much weaker than the Tenara.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2014
I just connected with a friend of mine that has a shop with an industrial sewing crew and offered to have them fix it or even sew a new one. He thought they could just use the old one as a pattern and make it just like the old one, but I'm leaning against that because of the snaps and shape that probably wouldn't fit very well if you didn't tailor it to the boat. They are a prop shop and sew things for movies, like space suits and other strange things.
So, I think I'm going to opt for taking mine to their shop with a roll of Polyester thread from Sailrite and have them just re-sew it. If they can replace the windows, cool.
I'll let you know how it goes. I'm gonna do this over the next couple of weeks.