Five most important things for a trip via the ICW to the Bahamas?

AlexC

Feb 26, 2017
Catalina 320 Hingham
This fall, I'll be making my first trek down the ICW, and then to the Bahamas. My wife asked me "What do people say are the five most important things to have on this trip?" Excellent question and so I thought I'd ask everyone.

BTW - would love to hear from anyone else who will be going down this fall.

Jun 1, 2004
Beneteau 393 Newport
Forget Active Captain...too much wrong information. A lot of the information found there is not dated so you don't know if it was entered last week, last year or last century.
Get Skipper Bob's "Anchorages along the ICW and a recent cruising guide. For the Bahamas get a set of Explorer Charts.

May 16, 2007
Boatless ! 26 Ottawa, Ontario
1 a good anchor
2 Explorer Chart books, ICW chart book
3 VHF with AIS interfaced to chart plotter
4 access to weather data, SSB, data on cell phone, WIFI booster
5 biggest dinghy with biggest engine you can handle

Also additional fuel and water in jugs on deck

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Certain Things are expensive in the Bahamas. Bringing from home will help. Below are a couple of suggestions for larder that keeps
  1. Beer
  2. Canned Butter
  3. Powdered peanut butter
  4. An assortment of Jellys and Jams
  5. Fully cooked bacon (remove from box and store anywhere)
  6. Canned Ham
  7. Dried Beans /Lentils / Pasta/ Rice / Oatmeal
  8. Quality Maple Syrup
  9. Shelf Stable Mayonnaise packets
  10. Canned Vegetables
  11. Your favorite jarred Pasta sauces (I like Ala Vodka, and Fra Diavolo, as well as Marinara)
  12. Spices. (make sure to pack Old Bay for seafood)
  13. Shelf Stable Milk
  14. Shelf stable half & half creamer cups if you like coffee or tea.
  15. Your favorite Coffee or Tea
I would also suggest that Vacuum bagging dry ingredients like pasta, rice, & oatmeal, can save a lot of space an improve shelf life.

AlexC

Feb 26, 2017
Catalina 320 Hingham
Certain Things are expensive in the Bahamas. Bringing from home will help. Below are a couple of suggestions for larder that keeps
  1. Beer
  2. Canned Butter
  3. Powdered peanut butter
  4. An assortment of Jellys and Jams
  5. Fully cooked bacon (remove from box and store anywhere)
  6. Canned Ham
  7. Dried Beans /Lentils / Pasta/ Rice / Oatmeal
  8. Quality Maple Syrup
  9. Shelf Stable Mayonnaise packets
  10. Canned Vegetables
  11. Your favorite jarred Pasta sauces (I like Ala Vodka, and Fra Diavolo, as well as Marinara)
  12. Spices. (make sure to pack Old Bay for seafood)
  13. Shelf Stable Milk
  14. Shelf stable half & half creamer cups if you like coffee or tea.
  15. Your favorite Coffee or Tea
I would also suggest that Vacuum bagging dry ingredients like pasta, rice, & oatmeal, can save a lot of space an improve shelf life.
good list - thanks. So what is not expensive in the Bahamas? (besides rum)

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Do NOT cross the Gulfstream if the wind is at all from the NORTH. Even just slightly north of east or west.
Use 2.5 knots as your average current when crossing the Stream. In other words, if you plan a 10 hour journey across the Stream, then set your course 25 miles SOUTH of your desired destination. Lauderdale to Bimini is the shortest distance at 49 miles. Fishing can be excellent on the crossing.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
at what time of year do you no longer need bug repellent?
Winter is best. You do not want to be there in calm weather in the summer. a Fresh breeze is your friend.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
good list - thanks. So what is not expensive in the Bahamas? (besides rum)
I love the Bahama bread. Local pork and mutton (Goat) are not too bad. Local fish & lobster are usually quite reasonable. Food availability is going to depend on where you go. Some of the out islands are quite remote.

Several years ago, I spent a week off season on Cat Island, We lived off of Peanut butter, canned vegetables and rum. One local restaurant was still open off season, so we could drive there and get fish head souse, and roast mutton (goat). The Rum helped LOL.

Since that trip, if I am flying to one of the out islands off season, I pack food.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Once you get to your jumping off spot, go to the local marinas and inquire about others planning on making the trip. Going in a group is way more fun AND a lot safer. Listen to what Capta wrote. DO NOT go when the wind is out of the north. Took a 43 Westsail into the stream with 25kts out of the north a few years back. Got pounded. And that was one heavy boat.

BTW, Alex, I am originally form Scituate. Just around the corner from you. I left there after graduation in '69 and ended up here in Fl. after my stint in the USN. Would love to get back up there and do some sailing, someday.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Are there import limits on alcohol?
Don't bother. Last I was there, April-May-June 2010, Beer was $6.00 a bottle grocery store, BUT a good Bahamian Rum was $7.00 a liter, $9.00 for a liter and half.

Many canned veggies in the out island are not all that expensive, but remember- the supply boats come on Weds or Thursday, so the day before, shelves can get bare.

I canned a lot of meats aboard while anchored in Boot Key, in half pint jars- worked well
canned meats.jpg