First "Endurance" Race

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
It looks like the stars and schedules have finally aligned for my first race at our club.
http://brownscreeksailingassociation.org/2018/07/march-drifter-2-2-2-2/

It will be my daughter and I on the O'day 25 with a 110 jib and a 150 drifter. I'm pretty excited as iss my daughter but even the short course of 17 miles is longer then and distance we have ever covered. Granted our sails are usually limited due to other commitments but still this will be a big step up for us.

I may be over thinking this but figure I'd share what I think I need with me for an all day sail.

2 case of water
Clean head and secured properly.
Food, nothing to crazy probably fresh fruit, cheese and sandwich meat.

Boat is in good shape any thoughts?

Last edited:

gdudik

Oct 25, 2017
Catalina 22 Vancouver, WA
Just did my first one of these a few weeks ago. About 20 miles in my little Catalina 22.
I don’t know what your fuel burn looks like but with my old two stroke I was glad to have brought the extra gallon of fuel.

Other than that you have it covered. Except for maybe a way to listen to tunes!

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
I'll have a full 3 gallons which should be fine with our new 4 stroke 6 hp. Not worried as we should be good for sailing unless they call it due to lack of wind.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Sounds like a great time John. And it sounds like you have it well covered.
I 2nd having a way to play some tunes. I like to have plenty of snacks and water, sound like you have that covered.
How about gloves? On longer sails where I'm trimming the sails a lot I like to wear gloves.

Enjoy!

May 23, 2016
O'Day 1984 23 Island Park, NY
How about plenty of time sunscreen and lip balm to reapply every so often

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Good feedback, my daughter has tunes covered with her ipod and our water proof blue tooth speaker.

Sun screen, hats, since the lake demands a donation every now and then, and sunglasses are always on boat will add lip balm for sure. Have 2 pairs if gloves also always on the boat so that should work. I'll add some smaller ones for my daughter.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Well according to the NOR you are limited to 9 hours. No use planning for much longer than that. If you finish past 6 PM you will be scored TLE. Watch your progress, and if it’s clear you’re not going to make it might as well just retire and head back under motor. Water and sunscreen obviously important, as well as clothing that matches the conditions. Including raingear based on the forecast. That’s a long time to be on the water for two people. The key to racing is staying focused, but you also want to have fun. I suggest making sure you have a way to play music on board. It’s nice in the background and it doesn’t get to distracting.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Going to hope for the wind and cool temps we are getting right now to stay with us till next weekend for sure!

Would you pick up a 3rd crew, especially someone unknown? I asked for an additional crew but now am rethinking that it might be best with my daughter and I since we have this down together and the boat is more comfortable with 2 people.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
John, Can your daughter handle the helm if you need to use the head? I think that would be key. A long day with a stranger may work out great and then again, may not.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Yes she is able to handle the helm and knows how to trim. She motored us back to our slip last weekend with a bit of guidance from me. It is usually just us most of the time.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Then you should be good to go with just the two of you, IMHO.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
You and your daughter will have a blast. The supplies listed above and don't forget extra batteries for your hand held.
Be sure to give us an update afterwards.

-Will (Dragonfly)

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Will do, and every trip is an adventure and fun for us to learn.

I have a both an installed radio and hand held. Probably overkill on our lake but they are both on board and on.

Last edited:

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
Any first aid supplies on board? Seasick, headache pills?

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Yes, small one, but I was planning to look at adding a few things.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Would you pick up a 3rd crew, especially someone unknown? I asked for an additional crew but now am rethinking that it might be best with my daughter and I since we have this down together and the boat is more comfortable with 2 people.
There is only one thing worse that sailing with someone you don't like (or are incompatible with), and that's RACING with them. Only thing worse than that is sailing a LONG race with them.

You really don't know what someone is going to be like racing until you actually race with them. I'd suggest saving that experience for a shorter event.

Last edited:

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
We did it! Completed the short course. Was a terrible start with zero wind and a total drift fest for 3 hours to cover 2 miles. They shorten the course by noon, but we still sailed the longest and we have ever done.

We stuck out the drift fest and did a headsail change from our old 150 to our drifter. Several people strongly recommended the 150 even though we had never used it before and it was as soft as a bedsheets. This seemed to work as we ended up mid pac of 14 boats total. The Drifter almost kept us with the spin class, so for awhile we were a solid mid pack. But I ended up leaving it up too long and was caught and passed. Not a big deal we just wanted to finish anyway. A bunch dropped out by noon but we didn't, I'll admit the hot drift wasn't fun and thoughts of motoring back crossed my mind .

Clearing the bridge we were rewarded with decent wind along with constant changing gusts and direction. Wind got stronger and that was probably when I should have changed to our new jib vs the old drfter as I just could not get a good shape. My clue was that I was with 4 boats with spins up to the pin when they all dropped them rounding the pin. I was rigged with a pole an main far out for wing on wing and we were gaining ground the longer I kept them up. I pulled the pole right before the port tack around the pin thinking we could hold the drifter up. We made it around but just lacked experience and could not keep the drifter pointed tight enough. Finally I changed to our new Precision headsail and all was right in the world. We never caught the 4 pack we had been in but did stay out front of 2 larger trailing boats (28' and 35').

Since this is a combo overnight race and short race the long course is still out there till tomorrow. We are happy to finish with at 3:37 time well before the 6 PM cut off. I know we finished at least one in front of what I think was last boat, so not dead last at least.

3 headsail changes, 10 miles of no motor, additional 5 miles of sailing to return home and a ton of fun between my daughter and I.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
'
You really don't know what someone is going to be like racing until you actually race with them.
For example my friend Charlie. We hang out together, do business together, and have a lot of mutual friends. He knows a lot about sailing. But when he takes the tiller he assumes no one else knows anything. Which would be fine if he could win. But he doesn't. He's driving me crazy on Wed PM races. Two hours is about my limit. Last week we were tacking upwind towards the finish in about 18 kts. We had already tacked six times on a short leg. He said he needed two more. I glared at him and yelled you get one! That's it! If you don't make the line - start the [Expletive deleted] motor! Guess which one of us was bringing the jib in. We were laughing about it breaking the boat down.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
20180922_081135.jpg 20180922_084733.jpg 20180922_092125.jpg 20180922_092900.jpg 20180922_105436.jpg 20180922_115036.jpg 20180922_122126.jpg 20180922_161824.jpg 20180922_161835.jpg 20180922_161831.jpg
Some pics, and yes the $2.50, each, umbrellas worked great. I'm sure we raised some eyebrows with them and untill we picked up serious blow we enjoyed the adjustability and relief.

Last edited: