Finally finished my trip log for the Bahama Trip...

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
I've been slow on finishing the trip log for my 1300 mile trip from Florida to the Bahamas and back (about 17 months slow :wahwah:). I've been working on it for some time but didn't want to post the remainder of the trip in bits and pieces so waited until now, when it is finally finished.

I'd last let-off with the boat in the Exumas at Highborne Cay. From there I sailed north out of the Exumas to Rose Island just to the east of Nassau. From there it was a 40+ mile jump over to the Berry Islands....

... where I spent a few days first at Bonds Cay and then moved up ....

... to beautiful Little Harbor and then ....

...to Hoffmans Cay on the north end of the Berry Island Chain.

Then another big jump of 50+ miles across the deep waters of Northwest Providence Channel to Hard Bargain at the south side of the Bight of Abaco.

From Hard Bargain it was two days getting across the Bight of Abaco with an overnight anchored near Basin Harbor.

You find very few sailboats crossing the Bight of Abaco due to the shallow waters entering and leaving so not much info on this water.

I then made it to Fox Town (Little Abaco Island) just in front of weather and stayed there a few days.

I finally left Fox and proceeded 83 miles west to West End (Grand Bahama Island) which was my jumping off place to cross the Gulf Stream as I made my way back to Florida.

The Gulf Stream crossing was pretty uneventful, except for a look-over from the Coast Guard, until I got about 6 miles off the Florida Coast, where things deteriorated quickly (read the trip log ;))

The little 26 foot Macgregor proved to be almost up to the entire trip and I have no complaints even considering the small hick-up at the end. This was a trip that I'll remember for the rest of my days, with 86 days and 1294 miles of very, very fond memories. I will long to return to the Bahamas, hopefully with the larger Endeavour.

On a side note, I started to become anal about sailing while headed back in the Exumas, even though I had some good long sailing days before that. From the Exumas to Florida was about 500 miles and I sailed all of that except about 110 miles. The largest part of the 110 miles on the outboard was 91 crossing the Gulf Stream at the end of the trip with no wind. It was great sailing almost 400 continuous miles without having to listen to the outboard. I also only spent 2 nights in a slip (At Bimini), with all the rest on anchor and loved it.

If you already read to the end of what I had written you can take off here for the remainder of the trip.....

http://1fatgmc.com/boat/mac-1/2015 Bahamas/2-Bahamas-3/Bahamas-Page-23.html

If you haven't read any of it here is the link to the Trip Index Page....

http://1fatgmc.com/boat/mac-1/2015 Bahamas/Bahama Trip Index.html

Guys and Girls follow your dreams and take care,

Sumner
=====================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Last edited:
May 8, 2011
ODay 25 Cambridge
I made a trip to the Bahamas on my Oday 25 this year. I crossed over from Lake Worth to the Abacos, down to Eleuthera and the west side of the Exumas and on to Salt Pond, Long Island for the June regatta. The return trip was thru Nassau, the Berries and Bimini to Miami. My after market kick up rudder failed on the 2nd day of my voyage across the banks south of Great Sale. A side plate failed due to crevice corrosion and parted completely from the rudder stock. The 2nd plate held and I was able to recover the foil and motor on to Marsh Harbor, Abaco. After a failed repair by the U.S. manufacturer I thru bolted the rudder foil in the down position for the remainder of the trip. I had read your posts before my trip and found them very helpful. Previously I had taken my Irwin 41 to the Bahamas twice but single handing a small boat proved very different. I salute you for your sense of adventure and resolve.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
I made a trip to the Bahamas on my Oday 25 this year. I crossed over from Lake Worth to the Abacos, down to Eleuthera and the west side of the Exumas and on to Salt Pond, Long Island for the June regatta. The return trip was thru Nassau, the Berries and Bimini to Miami. My after market kick up rudder failed on the 2nd day of my voyage across the banks south of Great Sale. A side plate failed due to crevice corrosion and parted completely from the rudder stock. The 2nd plate held and I was able to recover the foil and motor on to Marsh Harbor, Abaco. After a failed repair by the U.S. manufacturer I thru bolted the rudder foil in the down position for the remainder of the trip. I had read your posts before my trip and found them very helpful. Previously I had taken my Irwin 41 to the Bahamas twice but single handing a small boat proved very different. I salute you for your sense of adventure and resolve.
That was an amazing trip you took in the Oday 25. A lot more open water than the trip I took!! I'm really impressed.

Friends of mine with a Macgregor 26 X also went to Eleuthera and Long Island but then came back vis the south side of Grand Bahama Island and West End.

If we get to take the Endeavour over at some point I'm thinking of crossing from Marathon to Morgan's Bluff at the north end of Andros Island entering north of there via the Northwest Channel. Then down the east side of Andros and cross over to the Exumas by Green Cay.

Have you written your trip up that you took this year? I'd be interested in reading it,

Sumner
===============================================================
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html

May 8, 2011
ODay 25 Cambridge
I got to Long Island from Staniel Cay by riding a cold front that passed the first week of May. This is the cold front you wrote up that you rode out at Little Farmers. I went south down the west side of Exuma and then east thru the Comer Channel to Thompson Bay Long Island. It was a bad weather spring / summer and I rode out two 60 kt blows at anchor. I have not written up the trip but I find your write up very good. From pictures of your boat I see that you have the same rudder manufacturer as me (to remain unnamed). I would be interested in knowing the nature of your rudder failure.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Mighty fine post for the trip, Sum.. I really enjoyed your notes and pictures. Thanks.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
I got to Long Island from Staniel Cay by riding a cold front that passed the first week of May. This is the cold front you wrote up that you rode out at Little Farmers. I went south down the west side of Exuma and then east thru the Comer Channel to Thompson Bay Long Island. It was a bad weather spring / summer and I rode out two 60 kt blows at anchor. I have not written up the trip but I find your write up very good. From pictures of your boat I see that you have the same rudder manufacturer as me (to remain unnamed). I would be interested in knowing the nature of your rudder failure.
Little confused...did you do the trip this year 2016 or spring of 2015 when I was over there. There were two big blows when I was at Little Farmers and we got hit good on one. The guys up at Black Point really got hammered as the wind was out of the southwest and there is no protection there from that direction.

On the rudder deal my rudder was fine and didn't break itself. One of the SS cheek plates broke in two and the other side broke most of the way through and then bent up. This left the rudder useless. Here are a couple pictures...

One cheek plate broke off and the other bent severely and cracked most of the way through. I had straightened it some in the picture above prior to welding it.

I welded it on the outside and the inside. It had cracked with a previous owner evidently as it had been welded on before.

The picture above shows how it ended up. I'll keep a close eye on it from now on and don't see any long trips coming up in the near future. In hindsight I should of been keeping a closer eye on it during the trip but hadn't read of a failure before,

Sumner
=========================================================================
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
My mistake, my voyage was from March to July 2016.
No matter, sounds like you had a trip of a lifetime and if you write it up be sure and let me know. Did you see any other boats your size while over there? I didn't and got a number of thumbs up from bigger boats. I think there are a lot of sailors over there now on larger boats that went in the past on under 30 foot boats. Probably pretty common in the 70's and 80's,

Sumner
=================================================================
Endeavour 37 Mods...

May 8, 2011
ODay 25 Cambridge
I saw two small sailboats in the Abacos, one was a Macgregor 26, the other was smaller. South of the Abacos I saw no small boats. Most sailboats were in the 40ft+ range with a few smaller.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
I saw two small sailboats in the Abacos, one was a Macgregor 26, the other was smaller. South of the Abacos I saw no small boats. Most sailboats were in the 40ft+ range with a few smaller.
Thanks, a friend of mine went over in either a Macgregor 22 or 23 footer not all that many years ago. He single-handed but had the help of 2 large dogs. I know he made it to at least the Berry Islands and believe he made it onto Nassau.

Going over in a small boat is very doable, but one sure must also acknowledge the risks and accept them. I would hate to have someone go over, not prepared, and have them lose their life. I address that some here....

http://1fatgmc.com/boat/mac-1/2015 Bahamas/Things to Consider-1.html

I never knew how expansive the Bahamas are and how far apart the island groups are from one another until I started to research the trip. Over on the far east islands where you were there is all open water from there to England and Europe,

Sumner
=====================================================================
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I watched a YouTube video about a boat that left the Bahamas in route back only to be challenged by a storm. They headed East to skirt the storm but then found themselves short of fuel. Come to the rescue a Russian Tanker who provided them 11 five gallon containers of diesel and they successfully came home.

Sailors work together on the sea.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Sounds like a great trip, Thanks for sharing, !

Apr 15, 2015
Cape Dory 25 Trailered
I read about your Bahamas' trip this weekend and was taken away with all your adventures and pics. I can't wait until I have the opportunity to make a trip like that. Thanks for sharing your trip with us.